Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:34:33 PM

Author Topic: mini CNC 3040  (Read 5347 times)

mini CNC 3040
« on: January 29, 2017, 10:54:10 PM »
Hello,

I want to get some feedback from folks on this forum if any had or would attempt to use a mini CNC 3040 machine for engraving tags on business card size stainless steel .032 inch plates.  The company I work for had bought this machine a couple of years ago with it's intended use of making tags with alphanumeric characters.  I have contacted the vendor of this machine, Chinacnczone asking for end mills specific for stainless steel material; they replied that this unit is too small for stainless steel engraving.  Then said I could search the internet for bits to fit this unit.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions for be appreciated,

Carl

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: mini CNC 3040
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 02:26:04 AM »
Solid carbide engraving bits can be purchased cheaply on the bay, depending on their quality they wear quickly and should be replaced frequently.
Beware that SS work hardens easily when engraving so the job must be kept cool (flood coolant is best) but I am sure you know this already.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 05:33:33 PM »
Tweakie,

Thank you for your prompt response!  No I am not aware of that, good to know.  I'm the IT guy here who had to get a PC built to control the machine with Mach3.  My dad also works here who is a machinist by trade so I will definitely work with him on purchasing the carbide bits.

Again appreciate your advice,
Carl
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 07:27:29 PM »
We have a tiny 3020 machine. Fairly solid at that size and I think it would engrave SS. However we do engraving on our big mill and on sheet metal name plates a spring loaded engraver does a lot better because the metal is never flat. Don't know where you'd get that for your spindle.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 07:52:46 PM »
Consider using an pneumatic impact engraver, rather than a rotating spindle and cutter.
There would be less force transmitted to the machine that way, if ridgidity is a concern.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 07:11:47 PM »
Thank you garyhlucas and ozymax for your suggestions; will work on sourcing another machine.

Carl
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 11:51:42 PM »
I have the big brother to this machine, and have had a lot of success using a diamond drag engraving bit. I have engraved plastic, aluminum, brass & stainless all with great results.