Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:47:13 AM

Author Topic: CNC router stopped and won't respond to Mach3  (Read 3868 times)

CNC router stopped and won't respond to Mach3
« on: January 23, 2017, 12:43:31 PM »
Good morning all!

I'm new to the forum and also new to the world of CNC routers.  Hopefully some of the experts here can point me in the right direction.

I bought a used CNC router and am trying to learn how to use it.  It's running Mach 3 for software.

When I started using the machine last weekend, it would jog and run some simple programs (surfacing) from Mach 3.  Over the course of the day, the machine began locking up, responding erratically, and eventually not at all.

I reinstalled Mach 3 (a more revised version) and changed all the config values I could find but the spindle won't jog no matter what I do.

The breakout board shows 5v (4.91 to be exact) on the pins indicated and 12v elsewhere.

When I turn the machine on, the motor contactor engages and the machine seems to lock up.  

I've reached out to the manufacturer who isn't able to find the original configuration so I'm stuck figuring this out on my own.

Where do I start?

I'm posting my .xml file although I don't know how to decipher it, much less edit it.

Please help me get this thing back in motion!

Thanks
Shawn

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: CNC router stopped and won't respond to Mach3
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 01:36:41 AM »
We need a bit more information.

I don't think you have the correct pin configuration for Motor Outputs but this relates to the make of controller.
What make and model controller (the bit that drives the stepper motors) are you using ?
A picture may help.
What make and model Breakout Board are you using ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 10:03:30 AM »
Here are some shots inside the cabinet...I believe it's a Campbell Designs board (or very similar).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:16:11 AM by Tweakie.CNC »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 10:34:49 AM »
Quite right, it's a  Campbell Designs board.

The only thing I have spotted so far is that your Outputs settings are incorrect. Disable all outputs except the Charge Pump (which is set to port 1, pin 17) then see if that makes any difference.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 02:12:44 PM »
Thanks Tweakie

I tried your suggestion but still no movement.

I finally heard back from the manufacturer and they asked me to install Mach3  3.043.062

I have installed that version but now need to figure out how to configure all the settings and see if that gets me back on track.

Thanks
Shawn