Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:04:30 AM

Author Topic: Motherboards And Mach3, questions..  (Read 2469 times)

Motherboards And Mach3, questions..
« on: January 23, 2017, 12:35:21 AM »
Hello people,

Can someone explain to us what the difference will be between one motherboard 2Gh and another motherboard 4Gh? We talking about the same pc with win7 32-bit..
How mach3 will react with the two motherboards?

Thanks so much!
Re: Motherboards And Mach3, questions..
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 02:16:59 AM »
Hi,
I used an Atom based single board computer and two PPs for several years no problems. The Atom is a tiny and slow
CPU but adequate.

I now use the same board for Mach 4 and a SmoothStepper, again no problems. It can be a bit slow to load a large file but
it runs fine. Both Mach3 and Mach4 are not hugely CPU intensive, they don't require much grunt but they can't afford to
be interrupted by other programs or services.

I have also run Mach4 and ESS with my laptop (i7 @2.5Ghz and 16G RAM) and it made absolutely no difference to how Mach4
runs, it does load big files faster but that's it. Big and/or powerful PCs offer no advantage, save your money for better steppers/spindle/
ballscrews/drivers/tools......

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 02:24:15 AM »
Mach3 seems to work best with the older PC's (~1GHz) so I don't think you would notice any difference between 2GHz and 3GHz.
What I have found to be more important is a PCI graphics card with 1GB or greater memory (Mach3 is heavy on graphics and when it comes to large files, turning off the toolpath display may be an advantage).

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 09:57:20 AM »
Can someone explain to us what the difference will be between one motherboard 2Gh and another motherboard 4Gh? We talking about the same pc with win7 32-bit..
How mach3 will react with the two motherboards?

It's really impossible to know how Mach3 will work with a particular PC, unless you actually try it.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 11:59:45 AM »
Thanks you so much guys, I really appreciate your recommendation and your answers and help!