Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:59:35 PM

Author Topic: Question on 4 Axis Toolpath?  (Read 7128 times)

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
Re: Question on 4 Axis Toolpath?
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 04:24:28 PM »
Dazed+Confused,
I am still having issues although the shape is getting closer to what it should be on Finishing Cuts on the Venus Statue, I still have not got it right.
On Roughing where multiple cuts are made, it appear to have a lot more issues.
I was just testing a simple cylinder with a roughing cut, the last cut was OK the cut circles joined, but the outer cut they did not, they left a gap.
If you can get it working can you send me a working example G-Code with the Dia you have set so I can see where I am going wrong?
Regards,
Mauri.

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 04:40:27 PM »
it's the radius of the stock if its a 100 mm you would put in 50, its doing a radius correction so you have to make sure its dead center otherwise it will go wrong
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 03:35:04 PM »
Here is some information/files that might be useful. It is how i have my stock coord set up in RhinoCAM. If your toolpath does not show up properly it is most likely a post issue from your CAM package?

Toolpath in 4th axis mode does not modify gCode at all.

link to video from a test i made using a venus head...
https://youtu.be/0pTqF7th5IQ

D+C

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 05:01:25 PM »
Dazed+Confused,
Thank you for your reply.
All looks good with your demonstration and pictures.
On the Video you show A Rot On as 100, which is your Stock dimension just what I wanted to know.
I use mm on our Machines.
You example works also with my Mach4 using your code so that is OK.
I also use Rhino with madCAM 5Extra so I can also make any type of cut on the Model.
So I would like to duplicate your example as a test with Mach4 with 4 Axis and 4 Axis Simulateneous, to do this I need to know the dimesions of your Venus Model.
In the meantime I will try some mre tests using my models.
I have produced this Model many years ago in brass and wood with Mach3 so I do not have any issues with my CAD/CAM software.
It is good to hear that the G-Code is not affected.
Regards,
Mauri.
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 05:53:29 PM »
Ahh!.. i knew i had forgotten to put something else in the zip. Here is the actual head i used for tests.

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 08:05:04 AM »
Dazed+Confused,
I have found the issue of Toolpath display much more complex when performing the cut along the X Axis with a continual spiral cut around around the Cylinder.
In config "A Rollover" must Not be ticked.
I have found that when "A Rot On" is clicked, then you enter "0" to show the correct display.
However the cut does not cut going across and along the X Axis it continues to rotate in the same spot but the cut display then move over after each revolution.
Below is a G-Code Continuos Rotary cut of a Cylinder on Center.
So I do not know how the "A Rot On" works when you enter "0" but it does and entering "0" keeps the Circle Cylinder in the Center.

On more complex displays performing the same cut, for example Venus 100mm Dia stock, If enter on "A Rot On" "0" then it is truncated in the X Axis, but it is On Center.
However making "A Rot On" "-50" Display correctly but it is Off Center.
So I do not know what is going on.
Also I have not tried 4 Axis Simultaneous Spiral cut yet, I will do the tomorrow as it is getting late here.

I wish some would fix the Mach4 Toolpath display program so we do not need to come up the complex solutions to fix this.

Regards,
Mauri.

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 07:57:15 AM »
Dazed+Confused,
I have been conducting a number of experiments with various statues to she how to accurately show them in the Toolpath.
I have found in many instances that the following works.
I have put to sleep two line in the Lua code that you provide see below.
I then entered with "A Rot On" the value "0" on all G-code statues and cylinder.
One statue-1 and cylinder  had a normal 4 Axis rotary spiral cut and the other Statue-2 a 4 Axis simultaneous rotary spiral cut.
With this setting they all displayed proportionally correctly although it difficult to say with 100% confidence as I can not take any measurements for confirm this.
Both Statues have a stock diameter of 100mm so the value entered has nothing to do with this value.
Pictures of the Mach4 Toolpath below.
Although on the Large 1521472 G-Code lines Statue-2 on redisplay of the Toolpath the following Mach4 error came up and crashed the program.
On redoing the same action many times and it did not fail the second or more times?
Having trouble sending attachments to I will send an other reply.
Regards,
Mauri.

local inst = mc.mcGetInstance();
local getVal = scr.GetProperty('droRadius', 'Value');
local getValAsNumber = tonumber(getVal);
--getValAsNumber = getValAsNumber / 2;    --convert to radius (dro is entered as diameter)
--getValAsNumber = 0 - getValAsNumber;    --make negative for Z offset
mc.mcToolPathSetAAxisPosition(inst, 0.000, 0.000, getValAsNumber);

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 08:04:19 AM »
Dazed+Confused,
Attachments for previous reply.
All three example with entering "0" to above display all On Center.
Regards,
Mauri.

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 04:14:52 PM »
That's what Mach3 does if its origin is dead center end and the toolpath is out from there ever continus, wrap or index from a 3D cad program it will show up correctly with only have 0 as the radius correction as there's nothing to correct it has already been done in CAM.

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 04:50:17 PM »
Dude1,
The only thing is that if you have a G-Code that cuts a long the X Axis instead of around it, then it will not display correctly with a Zero Setting.
So this type of 4 Axis G Code would require a radius compensation.
Regards,
Mauri.