Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:10:31 AM

Author Topic: Z Axis key board input  (Read 4212 times)

Z Axis key board input
« on: December 29, 2016, 09:39:57 PM »
I'm building a Joe's EVO and ran into something I've never seen before. I have been using Mach3 for about 5 years on a diy wooden 'Black Toe' CNC Router that has been running without a problem using Mach3. I have the X & Y axis working very smooth. But the Z axis is acting strange. When I input the up key the Z goes up, pressing the down key will move the Z down, sometimes. I say sometimes because pressing the up key sometimes the Z will go in the wrong direction and vice versa.  ??? I thought it might be the keys sticking on the key board I'm using, but I don't think so, because if I use the "Page Up" & "Page Down" with "Num Lock" I get the same problem.
Re: Z Axis key board input
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 10:31:09 PM »
I had this exact problem a couple of years ago with my home design router.
Turned out that the pin in the p/port was failing. The p/port was the one included on the mother board.
To fix it, I purchsaed a pci p/port card from ebay and installed that.
Had to change the port address I think in Mach3 and it's been working fine ever since.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 12:55:46 PM »
I connected the PC to my old CNC Router and everything works, Z moves up and down NO problem. So I'm sure it's not the p/port RS232 plug. I change the stepper driver with the X driver. Without a change in the Z working right. Checked all connections, everything is tight. I must admit I am at a loss where to look next. If I could get the Z axis to run up & down the way it should I would have a working Joe's EVO. Haven't tried any G-code to see what would happen.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 04:06:37 PM »

Addendum:
This morning I did some more trouble shooting of my new Joe’s EVO CNC. I’m sure that the problem is in one of the NEMA23 stepper motors on the Z axis. I changed the cable from the driver of the Z axis motor with the Y axis motor. This drives the Y axis smooth but the Z axis motor will not work as it should. (See the above description) I notice also that the Z axis motor is noisy and will not run smooth at all. The other three motors make all most no noise at all.
This is what I told the company that I bought the 4-Axis NEMA23 CNC Kit from: >:(
I am a little unhappy with these parts I received from ******* ********* ***. First the 5 volt transformer had to be returned and I had to pay the shipping just to get a $10.21 refund to my PayPal account. I lost money on that deal. Now it looks like I will have to pay return shipping to return a defective NEMA23 stepper motor. More money lost. Next time I think I’ll look for my parts on Ebay. 
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 04:38:30 PM »

These were all new out of the box NEMA23 570 oz-in steppers so you would thing that they would be good to go. After I removed the Z stepper motor I can tell by turning the shaft by hand that the motor has a problem. There is a drag part of the way around turning the shaft. Most of the 360 turn it turns easy then it gets harder to turn for about a quarter of the way.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 06:49:15 PM »
Gene, check the wiring and the connector at the stepper motor or the cable that attaches to the stepper, I had the exact same problem on my home made machine and it turned out to be the direction wire was lose and it would go up or go down when the same key was pressed
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 08:12:41 PM »
Naijin:
Thanks, I looked at all of that while I was trouble shooting. The only thing I could come up with is the stepper it's self. Like I said I changed the cables with one of the other steppers and the Z stepper motor still would not run correctly going up or down using a different cables and driver. You'd think if the problem were at the driver, cable or BOB that the other stepper motor (Y axis) would show the same symptoms as the Z axis if the cables were reversed. I hope I'm making myself clear about switching the cables between the two stepper motors.
Thank for trying help.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 08:16:22 PM »
Knock on wood but I knew that this build was going to smooth and that something had to go wrong. >:D >:D  Up tell now every thing has gone together without a single problem.  ::) ::)
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 07:16:41 PM »
Well I found my problem. Bad soldering on a DB9 connector. Replaced DB9 connector with a new one . Now everything on  the Z axis is smooth and quiet!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 08:22:40 PM »
Well done Gene, keep at it you will soon iron out al the bugs!!! ;D