Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 09:26:00 AM

Author Topic: I need a wizard that will route a straight cut  (Read 5201 times)

I need a wizard that will route a straight cut
« on: December 23, 2016, 05:45:38 PM »
I do a fair amount of wood working and many times I need a simple cut, that is not doable on the table saw or radial saw.  The router is the tool of choice for these occasions.  What I normally do is clamp a straight edge (piece of wood, generally) for a guide and use a straight bit with a bearing.  And then it occurred to me that it would be so much easier doing this on the CNC router.  I just need a wizard to make this happen.  I feel reasonably confident that I could make a wizard, but want to make sure that one does not exist, before putting the time into making one.

Does anyone know if a wizard like this is out there?

Thanks.
Rick

Re: I need a wizard that will route a straight cut
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 09:12:14 PM »
Hi,
why a wizard and not just plain old MDI?

Lower the bit to the depth of cut you require at the start of the cut,
G1 Xnnn Ymmm Fppp   where nnn,mmm are the cords of the required end point at federate of ppp,
withdraw the cutter above the work, job done. Need to allow for diameter of your routing bit of course
but that calc shouldn't even require a calculator.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 02:03:33 AM »
How about the Mach3 angle slot wizard with the angle set to zero?

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 01:51:43 PM »
Hi,
why a wizard and not just plain old MDI?

Lower the bit to the depth of cut you require at the start of the cut,
G1 Xnnn Ymmm Fppp   where nnn,mmm are the cords of the required end point at federate of ppp,
withdraw the cutter above the work, job done. Need to allow for diameter of your routing bit of course
but that calc shouldn't even require a calculator.

Craig

I generally take about a DOC of 1/8" per pass, so that would get kind of repetitive.  Also I like to rough cut leaving about .05" and then make a finish pass at full depth.

The straight cut would probably not be parallel to the X or Y axis.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Rick
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 01:53:09 PM »
How about the Mach3 angle slot wizard with the angle set to zero?

Mike

I've read about the wizards that were included with Mach3.  I have not found them yet.  Any ideas where to start looking?
Thanks.
Rick
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 05:48:39 PM »
Install Mach 3, open the program, and click the button marked Wizards. It is the 5th button from the left at the top of the screen.
Happy Wizarding!

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 05:52:28 PM »
Hi,
the cut doesn't have to be parallel to the X or Y axis, it moves it a straight line to wherever you send it.
I might come back with an example.

As far a looking over the wizards, you're in for a pleasant surprise. On the very top menu bar of M3 click the 'Wizards' item and then highlight
and click 'Pick Wizard' and the selection window will open. Another way to do the same thing is to click the 'Load Wizards' button on the program
run page under the DROs.

Craig
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 12:11:53 PM »
Install Mach 3, open the program, and click the button marked Wizards. It is the 5th button from the left at the top of the screen.
Happy Wizarding!

Mike

Yes,
I've looked under the "Pick wizard" and nothing comes up.  What is the file extension for a wizard and what sub directory should they be in so that the "pic wizard"  will find them?  I may never have downloaded them with mach3 or they may have gotten into another directory.  It's been a while since I have downloaded mach3.
Thanks for the help.
Rick

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2016, 07:40:51 PM »
Hi,
look in Mach3/Addons...should be a folder for each of the wizards, about 20 or so.

These shipped with Mach3 when I downloaded. The only wizards I see mentioned on the Atrsoft website
require a licence. Probably pretty good value but can't find the free ones yet.

Craig