Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:42:46 AM

Author Topic: Rewiring should I use a motion controller or stay with BOB?  (Read 2248 times)

Rewiring should I use a motion controller or stay with BOB?
« on: December 18, 2016, 07:44:28 PM »
So I'm rewiring my bridgeport mill as I'm moving the controller and tidying it up. It's been working flawlessly for more than a decade on a C10 Breakout board. Is there any reason to go with a motion controller, maybe such as POKEYS57CNCDB25 or UC100 USB MOTION CONTROLLER? Thought I'd ask as I have everything ripped apart.
Re: Rewiring should I use a motion controller or stay with BOB?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 08:17:49 PM »
If you are planning to upgrade to Mach4 at some point in the future then a motion controller is your best bet. If you are happy with the machine and never plan to leave Mach3 and you are very happy with the machines performance then Stay with the devil you know. Having said all that if you have always wanted more I/O or an MPG then a motion control board is a nice addition to an already great machine.
YMMV

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 10:22:06 PM »
Ok thanks. Thought so, but when reading posts about motion controllers people talk about smoothness and the like. I've never really had a problem. I mean I've messed up plenty, but never do to the machine.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 03:55:33 AM »
Motion controllers do generate a smoother pulse train since the processor just has to worry about motion and not all of the PC overhead.
If you can afford it do it now and be done with it. After all it is just money, right?  ;D

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 01:40:01 PM »
LOL yeah.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 12:02:31 AM »
also keep in mind that if the computer ever dies and no other computer with PP is available then you will have to go to a motion controller to interface via USB.

Knowing that, The UC100 will interface directly to your C10 board.
A smooth stepper will interface with the c10 with a ribbon/DB25 cable. 
most motion controllers will in face recommend that you interface with some kind of break out board.
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 01:51:22 AM »
thanks. Just built a new computer for it, it has PP onboard. I'll be alright for a while.