Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 08:29:40 PM

Author Topic: Where did "Home Slave with Master Axis" Go?  (Read 3001 times)

Where did "Home Slave with Master Axis" Go?
« on: November 23, 2016, 05:36:49 PM »
I am transitioning from Mach 3 and parallel port to Mach 4 and ESS, where did the option to make sure that the Master and Slave are not homed together? They both have their own homing sensors (for auto squaring) but I can't find that option anywhere in the Mach 3 or ESS settings?

Thanks
Josh
(Running Build : Mach 4.2.0.3233 and ESS driver : 186)
Re: Where did "Home Slave with Master Axis" Go?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 08:10:18 AM »
Edit. I can't find the setting in Mach 4 or ESS Plugin for Mach 4 settings... It used to be (in Mach 3) in the general settings.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 11:48:51 AM »
Bump...

Does anyone have auto-homing working with an ESS and mach4? If so, can they share their settings for the ESS Homing tab and the Mach config Homing tab?

Thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 03:32:27 AM »
I have two Y motors turning ballscrews on each side of my gantry, labeled Yl (for left) and Yr. In Mach4 they are set up as motor1 and motor2. Under the axis mapping I have motor2 set as slave to motor1

For my prox switches I have 4mm NC PNP induction switches. Each motor on the x and y has a prox on each end of the travel which are wired together in series with the signal of the first powering the second and the sig from the second going to my BoB. If either end is tripped, the BoB sees the same signal. Because Mach4 doesn't fixate on XYZ and instead uses Motor0,1,2,3,etc I set up my two Y prox/switches in the mach config>inputs as Motor1++/--/home = Yl prox, Motor2++/--/home = Yr prox where Yl prox and Yr prox were the names setup under my ess config for those input pins.

I had been looking to figure out the same issue as you, how to home each separately to auto square. Turns out, mach4 does it automatically. When I go reference my Y, both motors turn in sync, but if one side is leading, it will stop first, and the other side will continue until it reaches its home switch. I have manually put it out of square by say a half inch and it corrects it when I reference the Y.

What I did discover is that I need to have a slow enough speed referencing so that Mach4 has time to react and stop before physically running into my switches. I could have gone with the 8mm prox switches, but then if the referencing over runs the switch by 4mm instead of 2mm, it would take twice as long backing out.