Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 12:23:38 PM

Author Topic: RT_Stepper USB Dongle  (Read 3365 times)

RT_Stepper USB Dongle
« on: November 22, 2016, 06:49:27 AM »
I have purchased an RT_Stepper dongle from Ecklersoft. http://ecklersoft.com/pymini.html.
Basically, USB to the computer and a parallel output port to typical stepper break-out boards.
I'm not a software guy, but is it possible for someone to write a plug-in to support this controller?
The code that makes the product work is "open source" so the hooks should be there.......

They have their own GUI (pymini) that works great, but it might be interesting to be able to take advantage of the Mach 3 group knowledge...
Dan

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,199 9,199
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: RT_Stepper USB Dongle
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 07:04:25 AM »
Hi Dan, welcome to the forum.

As there are already a number of very good USB to Parallel converters designed for use with Mach3 it is doubtful if it would be worthwhile writing the software to support another.

Tweakie.

(please don't make multiple posts concerning the same subject - thanks).
PEACE
Re: RT_Stepper USB Dongle
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 12:32:00 PM »
Thanks for the note...makes sense. I'm relatively new to the CNC world as I recently retired and it's more of a hobby to enable me to do 2D router cuts on plywood for small boats and Kayaks. The Pymini interface I got with the interface will work fine, I was thinking the experience in the Mach 3 community would be a big learning asset. The price point of the RT_Stepper interface is what led me there.

I'll look at the plugins section and look at some of the other hardware if I make a move in the future.
Regards,
Dan