Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:58:36 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 and A axis....  (Read 4928 times)

Mach3 and A axis....
« on: November 12, 2016, 08:56:39 PM »
Can someone help me with the config on my machine please.  I need to configure the A axis run as the spindle in Mach3.
I assume it can done as I have a machine already running like that but its Mach2 and the config sections are different so it was no help.  I've tried every combination I can think of to get to work but to no avail.
All 4 axis are running fine and tuned I just need to switch the A.
I included a picture of my newly built machine so you have an idea what I need.  I don't care that its running on a stepper and speeds are limited yada yada yada.  I would just like it to just turn at a controllable thru the spindle option at a constant speed for the entire length of the programs I write.
Thanks for any and all help.
Re: Mach3 and A axis....
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 09:35:56 AM »
How about posting your XML file?

The basics are select spindle control on the spindle tab of the config pages. Then step and direction spindle. Then you select the proper pins on the motor output tabs.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 09:36:29 AM »
Forgot to add, nice looking machine. Did you build it yourself???

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 11:07:40 AM »
Thanks Mike....
Yes, I did build it myself.  I collected the parts over 10 or so yrs ago and finally just got around to putting them together.  I finally got to know enough about my cnc BPT to be able cut the parts needed.  Stepper mounts and base and such.  You can see the steppers are the outdated round ones instead of square but they are working fine for my needs.
I got the BPT on a song and dance and have taught myself just enough to get into trouble with it.  Was able to get it hooked to a computer and transfer files to run parts.  I call it Dino..my Brontosaurus.  Boss 6 control but still functions fine.  At one time there was a guy on cnczone who made boards to be able to run the BPT on mach.  But I snoozed on them and they disappeared.  Not sure what happened...maybe liability issues or something.
Anyway.................. right now I have two separate issues with my new build.
#1....  Have all the motors turning in the right direction and the incremental distances correct to the DRO.  My initial thoughts are I would like to have the A turning as the spindle on the mach read out.  I've sat down and wrote a program that will operate the A the way it is set up now for one operation I want to do.  But still need the A to turn continually with controlled speed in the spindle function of mach in another program.
So i need the help with pin numbers and box clicks for that.

Issue#2......The control I'm using was originally assembled to run desknc (dos) so I believe some of the pin numbers may be a bit different.  It has gecko drives...540 I believe.
I had the controller hooked to another machine years ago and it has a relay wired into it that commands a 120V plug that is attached to the precise spindle I have on this machine.  I remember the controller uses m08 and m09 to turn the relay on and off.  I see this is the coolant on/off in mach.  I haven't changed anything in these settings in the Mach config but......if I plug my spindle into it now....it has a constant flow of 120v.  So I assume the relay is closed and it is allowing juice to flow full time.  I would also like very much to get this hooked up and be able to turn on/off my precise spindle using the m08/m09 functions in mach if possible.  The precise already has it's own speed control 0 to 45K so I don't need the spindle in mach for this function.  Just the on/off function.  I went back through all of my old papers i have on the desknc pin outs and it appears the m08/9 function was pinned on #16.

Please forgive my greeness......what is a XML file? where would i find it and how would I post it?
Thanks for your willingness to put up with me.
Regards Dave
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 04:54:00 PM »
Ok...so in between football games I messed with it a little.  Here's what I have....
I moved the pin numbers from the A to the spindle and enabled that with the same checks clicked
Then I went to the spindle page and enabled the spindle in the top middle of the page and clicked on step/dir
Here's what I get......on the MDI mach tab When I put a value in the spindle rpm (say 120) to test it then I click on F5... the number value goes to zero and the yellow light around the spindle function blinks like it's running but no movement.  The part that really has me stumped is I can't turn the spindle off and make the flashing yellow stop.  Have to hit the E-stop to make it quit flashing.
What is the spindle box in the bottom left on the spindle page?  maybe that's where I'm supposed to be?

So confused...........................
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 06:22:40 AM »
Hi Dave,
Everyone here started somewhere including myself.I am sure that as long as you are trying to learn, not just have someone do it for you, many people here will help.

1. The .xml file in in the Mach3 folder, ie; C:\Mach3. It is called by the name of your profile. The default mill file is Mach3mill.xml. Yours is that if you haven't setup a different name. It could be nicelookinghomemadeMill.xml if that is what you called yours. You will need to post it as a unused name so if it is Mach3Mil.xml, which has been used before,  you will need to rename it to something else.

2. When you input the M03 s120 into the MDI box and hit enter you should get the blinking light. You will only get the RPM readout if you have rpm feedback. When you put anything into the MDI or a DRO for that matter you need to hit the enter key for it to stick.

3. Lets get the xm lposted and then we can work on the rest of the stuff.

Mike
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 09:49:17 AM »
Thanks Mike...
I appreciate the willingness to help me learn.
Let me see what I can figure out with the xml file when I get into the shop today.  I did some more reading yesterday but got in over my pay grade.  I need to pull back and like you say concentrate on one thing at a time.  Trying to understand what all the acronyms (PWM, etc) stand for.
Is there a page somewhere that may have a list of those? For me, it is very confusing to understand what I'm reading about if I run across those and don't understand what they stand for or their basic function.  I don't want an electronics engineer degree but I am very interested in this stuff and I'm trying to learn as I go.  Eventually I'll get there but I may be a little slow.
I feel fortunate I was able to get thru the computer stuff and have the machine moving on all 4 axis at this point.
Appreciate your time.
Dave
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 11:19:37 AM »
I believe we're in the mix.  Forgot I had already named it so I was looking for something different.
I believe this may be the file your looking for.
Regards Dave
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 06:46:15 PM »
Hi Dave,
I have the xml but won't be able to do much with it tonight. Hopefully someone will chime in.
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 07:53:18 PM »
Thanks Mike.....I had to pull back from my mill project for a couple days anyway so when ever you have a chance is fine.  I think my head was getting ready to explode.  Interesting stuff and I'm having fun learning about the software end of it but my real job keeps me overloaded also.  I'd enjoy a few more brains in the mix if they're out there and willing.  ;)
Regards Dave