Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:22:08 PM

Author Topic: New to this game!  (Read 2936 times)

New to this game!
« on: November 10, 2016, 04:53:33 PM »
Hey guys,

First time with a CNC machine , hoping I can get some help !

I purchased a CNC machine and am Looking at getting Mach4 as it appears to have more flexibility than Mach3 , I;m wondering if its possible to script something for it ? as I will be using Aluminium plates and need in a certain spot numbers and in another certain spot numbers and letters, can this all be set up through Mach4 or can somebody point me in the correct direction?

Offline Pedio

•  200 200
    • View Profile
Re: New to this game!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 08:11:49 AM »
You will need a program to design the graphic / diagram and then create your toolpaths. M4 can run the toolpaths and tell the machine what to do.

These are called CAD/CAM programs. I use one called Vcarve Pro and it is very easy to use and allows you to create the designs as well as the toolpaths. I am sure you can find a free one of these types of programs if you just need a very simple design.

Perhaps others can tell you what they are using.

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 10:11:39 AM »
fusion 360 is FREE to hobbyists

note the is CAD CAM and much more runs on pc and mac

note you get the ultimate as a hobbyist which now has 4/5 axis CAM

complete package for free cannot be bad   the generic mach3 post works well for Mach 4 , but needs a mod for 4 th axis
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 10:42:37 PM »
Thanks for the help guys , just one last bit if you could point me in the right direction ,

I tried downloading fusion 360 but dont understnd how to do it (even after watching tuts on it ! ) is there a simple program i can get that i can put in where the text needs to go (kind of like it seems with vcarve just dont want to pay then $600 for a few numbers and letters every now and then ! )

But yeah its for a name plate 60mm x 40mm and just need a very simple program to select the size and placement

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 05:54:05 PM »
Ive been using Autodesk Artcam 2017 standard for a bit now without any problems :-)

DazTheGas
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 06:27:43 AM »
If all you need is basic engraving now and then try this free program.
I have installed it and played with it a few times but have not gotten around to using it's G-code but a lot of other people have.

http://deskam.com/deskengrave.html

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 12:03:31 PM »
Revisiting this old post to let everyone know that Mach4 now has a Font Engrave wizard that allows you to engrave basic letters/numbers without jumping back and forth from a design program. If this is something you use frequently, there is also a font engrave screen set that has the wizard implemented as a tab instead of a popup window. This is not a CAD/CAM replacement by any means, but it's free and is worth checking out. :)

Happy CNCing!
-Bryanna
Newfangled Solutions Helpdesk: http://support.machsupport.com
YouTube Support Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MachSupportOfficial
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 05:20:12 PM »
WOW, digging up old posts to make things better! Now if we can just get you to chain Smurph to his keyboard all will be right in my world!!!!

It is nice to see that Brian and company have really taken customer and forum support to a new level by hiring you.

Thanks for all you do,

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.