Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 03:58:55 AM

Author Topic: Total Newbie biting off more than he can chew  (Read 15322 times)

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Total Newbie biting off more than he can chew
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 06:31:06 AM »
Perhaps someone could do me a huge favour. Im still struggling with LazyCam because even when I ceate a dxf file I cant see it a

What are you creating the .dxf in, and what version .dxf is it? Many programs don't properly support the .dxf file format, which leads to other programs not being able to read them. Different versions of .dxf can also lead to the same issue. Generally, you want to save in the oldest .dxf version that you can v12 typically being the most universal.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 10:52:30 PM »
I work with Corel Draw for most of my carvings. (profile cuts in particular, imported into LazyCAM). The DXF file format just doesn't work for me. So after many hours of trying different files formats, when exporting them from Corel Draw, I discovered that the Hewlett Packard Graphic Language *.PLT file format is the one to use. As it preserves the correct aspect ratio, and actual dimensions of the drawings. When importing them into LazyCAM. (Instead of just clicking the "open DXF" menu item, click on the "File, Open vector file", and select the HPGL *.PLT file format, then navigate to the folder where your file is stored, and click on it to open). Works great for me. And has for the past 8 years!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 05:37:17 AM »
adprinter,

Glad it works for you.
When creating  the manual only DXF files were used and tested.
So not sure what bugs  one would find if other file types are used.

RICH
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 11:04:31 PM »
I've made hundreds of military emblems and stuff. You can see some of the stuff that I've done in the video on my web site. Maybe you're interested.

http://www.cncproductionwork.com

Alan
Hi
My machine is still in transit but I have been playing with the demo of Mach3 to try and familiarise myself with it.

I would like to use the machine to carve the logo for the motorcycle group I am in here in Western Australia.

The machine I have purchased is the  3 axis  3020 CNC Router engraver

I would like to ask is the attached file too difficult or complex, both for me and the machine?

I will attach the jpg along with the dxf file.

I know I will be learning a lot in a short time but if someone could advise if its too difficult a job and perhaps even translate it into gcode, ready to run in Mach3

I can hand carve this logo with a reasonable accuracy over a couple of days however it still looks amateurish.

Any help offered will be gratefully accepted