Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:00:14 PM

Author Topic: newbie with a problem  (Read 3390 times)

newbie with a problem
« on: October 25, 2016, 12:22:05 AM »
hi  there, i am new here and new to cnc. we acquired a homebuilt cnc and have been trying to get it working. it is had never been used after it was purchased from the original builder. it was built somewhere around 8 years ago. the builder is was killed in a car accident so I cannot get any help there. the builder sent papers with it with port numbers and such from where he tested it with kellyware. I could not get kellyware to download. mach 3seems to be the software I want to try so we downloaded it. we entered the configuration from the sheets provided and followed the tutorial but our motors will not jog or move  at all. there is a slight motion when I have restarted the computer so I believe it is not all dead. maybe configuration mistake? any help is appreciated.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: newbie with a problem
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 01:54:47 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

What make / model controller does your machine have?
Is it using your PC's LPT parallel port?

Some pictures of your machine and controller may be good.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 07:09:18 PM »
thank you for responding! I don't know what type the controller is. I hope pictures help. i feel pretty helpless here, I don't know where to start.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 07:12:57 PM »
inside and outside  the control box
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 07:25:54 PM »
please let me know what else I need to take a picture of or other info to provide. thank you in advance for taking time to help.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 03:12:05 AM »
It looks like your controller may have been designed just for Kellyware and may not be suitable for Mach3 operation – it certainly does not appear to be one of the current, commercially available, controllers.

However, it is driven by the parallel port so check in Windows Device Manager for the LPT parallel port address and make sure this address is entered for Port 1 in Mach3 and that it is enabled (it is typically 0x378). Then in Config. / Ports & Pins / Motor Outputs enable just one axis then try every combination of output pin numbers for the Step and Direction also Step Active High / Low (with Step and Direction Ports set to 1) and see if you can get any axis movement.

It’s a long shot but who knows ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 10:33:35 AM »
I have been trying to find the ip address but cannot figure it out. I found where to get it but it just says lpt1 and no address. I will look further on that today. I looked again in the paperwork and it was claimed to work on mach 2 or kellyware. maybe my issue? thank you for your help.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 12:30:31 AM »
i found a way to get the kellyware  to download. then tried it again without any movement. next we tried it with an old computer and it works. HOORAY!!! we have all three axis movements. so our issue is the computer. now to try mach 3 with the other computer.

if it said it was compatible for mach 2 would it work for mach 3? I believe it may be built pre-mach 3. just a guess though.

thank you for helping.
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 01:01:45 AM »
and just like that it works with mach 3. the issue was the windows 10. it is now cruising on xp. I am on top of the world!! now, for a router bracket and then what to have it do...

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 01:58:41 AM »
Excellent result - I am pleased to hear your machine is up and running.

Tweakie.
PEACE