Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:59:35 AM

Author Topic: Probing, mcCntlGet/SetPoundVar  (Read 6569 times)

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
Re: Probing, mcCntlGet/SetPoundVar
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 01:08:25 PM »
Hi

Sorry to but in

If you do do the swap please bear in mind that a touch plate is different to a probe , so the setting page needs spliting

I normaly have touch (tool setter ) on g31 but the probe is on g31.1

One being NO and the other NC

;) when Warp9 get the g31.x sorted

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 01:22:39 PM »
This is why you have options to use probe, probe 1, probe 2, etc. which use the appropriate G31, G31.1, etc. respectively. Even the touch indicator LED will respect this. Wire one up NC and the other NO..... makes no difference to the TouchOff module. Just set your options. The options are already there and will not be split into another screen. That would just over complicate things. With Mach4 you can have your cake and eat it too.  :)
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 02:50:01 PM »
Oops my bad

Should take more notice when I use the mill

Stuart
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 12:18:17 PM »
Hallo Chaoticone,
you are right, I have not used the TouchOff module yet, for any reason I was focused on the probe module.
But I will have a closer look at touching, I only not know when; maybe at the weekend.
Steve
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 02:36:04 PM »
Hello Chaoticone,
I've tried to get the TouchOff module working but I'm not sure if have used it correctly.
What I did:
- edited the screen set wx4.set, at the "Offsets" page I changed the
  clicked script for the "Set Z" button ("--Set Z button") in the way you can see in the attached file SetZButton.txt
- Added the  following settings to machine.ini:
[ToffParams]
ToffProbeRate=100
ToffRetractDistance=2
ToffPrepDistance=15
ToffToolDiam=10
because I need it in the units of millimeters.

To get the function TouchOffZNeg0() in mcTouchOff.lua called from the screen set it needs to be prefixed with "mcTouchOff."
So I got the first move of my probe, but the fixture offsets weren't set.
To find the reason for that I reached the function Code(Gcode, ProbeActive) which I do not understand completely.
I'm sure it should execute "Gcode" and wait until movement is finished.
But what is the purpose  of    
   if (ProbeActive ~= true) then
      ProbeActive = false;
   end
and how is the probe state after the movement (did the probe touch the workpiece?) returned?

At this point I stopped my activities full of self-doubts. When I did all right, when a lot of fixes are necessary to get the TouchOff module running.
Sure, this module is much better structed than the probing mod, and is definitely easier to maintain, but at the moment the probing module does the most things I need.
Steve

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2016, 04:12:24 PM »
Hello Steve,

You should not have to edit anything to use the touchoff module. It has its own dialog and not linked to or used in or by anything on the probing screens. Clicking the touch button opens the TouchOff UI.

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 06:05:25 AM »
Ah..., this explains a lot. Surprisingly once I've done it right it works. Great work.
I quickly added the rapid find (double touch) by inserting two lines in the function TouchOff:
  Code(string.format('G91 G' .. ToffProbeCode .. ' ' .. Axis .. ' ' .. PrepDistance .. 'F' .. ToffPrepRate), true)
  TouchRetract(Axis, Direction * -1)
  Code(string.format('G91 G' .. ToffProbeCode .. ' ' .. Axis .. ' ' .. PrepDistance .. 'F' .. ToffProbeRate), true)

A calibration in my opinion is not necessary. The only thing that you have to know is the diameter of the probe, that can easily be measured with a slide gauge.

In the future I would prefer having the TouchOff UI dialog integrated in the main screen.

Thanks, Steve

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016, 01:41:15 PM »
Good deal, Thanks!

The main reason I have not added the rapid touch is it was designed and many will use it with a tool as a probe and a touch plate to complete the circuit. A probe is forgiving and made to over run and bounce back to center. That is not true at all with a carbide end mill. I point this out so others don't see your reply and implement the change on theirs without thinking about it. But I am very pleased you could and did edit it slightly to suite your needs.  :) Can't tell you how hard I tried to make that the case. Just remember if you update it will be overwritten unless you save it as something unique and then will have to edit all the bits that load and bring it to the top. I would save a copy somewhere outside the Mach4 directory for safe keeping.

I have done very little with lua panels in screens but I think you could use it in one without much editing. There are no plans to ever have it as part of the default screens.

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 10:01:16 AM »
Today I encountered the problem "#4003 assigment value gets divided by 10" too (Mach4 v4310), so here's a quick workaround:

#500 = #4003   
G#500