Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 12:30:58 PM

Author Topic: axes not moving anymore  (Read 5389 times)

axes not moving anymore
« on: October 22, 2016, 07:26:38 AM »
All axis movement has stopped on a machine that has been running Mach3 for years.  I put a new Win 7 computer into the system, and it worked fine for a day.  When I turned on the computer the next morning, there was no axis movement.  All indicator lights on the BOB and drives are on and the motors hum.  It uses the Campbell BOB and steppers with Gecko drives.

So far I have gone through the optimization process, uninstalled Norton, uninstalled Mach3 and reinstalled it 3 times with the proper use of DriverTest which says the system is great each time.  I have had experience with Mach3 having retrofitted 2 commercial machines and custom built 2 machines myself.  However, I have no electrical training and make my living doing surgery (who knows why I fool with machines...).  I have no idea what has gone wrong.  Possibly the motherboard, parallel ports, or parallel cable or maybe the BOB?

Thanks!
Keith

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: axes not moving anymore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 09:51:18 AM »
My first check would be the parallel port address in control panel,  make sure it still matches the one in Mach config.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 11:05:14 AM »
Checked port addresses and tried with and without interrupts, running drivertest each change.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 11:29:41 AM »
Is there any communication - if you flick a limit on the machine, do you get any indicator on the BOB - LED etc and again in mach diagnostic screen.

Do the motors lock up when mach comes out of reset, not always the case as some setups will be locked as soon as drives are powered up, depends if the enable lines to the drives are used or not.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 02:08:37 PM »
not sure if this is the right manual: - http://campbelldesigns.net/files/breakout-user-guide-1-8.pdf

Chargepump not setup?  (pin #17 on the outputs tab....)
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 02:20:16 PM »
epiphany moment!!

what version of Windows 7 are you running?
32 bit or 64 bit?

go to >> windows explorer >> left click on "my pc / this pc", select properties and it will tell you the version, service pack and bit version.

Extract from the NFS website on mach3 requirements:
http://www.machsupport.com/software/mach3/

Software Requirements
Mach3 Minimum Recommended Requirements:
Requirements if using the parallel port for machine control:

Desktop PC (Laptops are not supported) with at least one parallel port
    32-bit version of Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (64-bit versions will not work)
    1Ghz CPU
    512MB RAM
    Non-integrated Video Card with 32MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)

Requirements if using an external motion device for machine control:

An appropriate external motion controller (options can be found on the Plugins page)
    Desktop or Laptop with Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
    1Ghz CPU
    512MB RAM
    Video Card with 32MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)

Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 03:05:21 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions..!  Yes 32 bit, yes all axes lock on reset , yes all limit switches are active, all compatiblity issues are met. We are going to reformat and install Win XP and try again with no internet and no Norton.  Remember everything worked great for 1 day!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 03:14:03 PM »
in the bios, can you change the setup of the printer port (this has been a while for me, but on some of the older bios there was a setting to change the printer port from ECP / bidirectional to a standard LPT?)

Have you tried that as windows may have changed the printer port type with a driver update.

normally F2 under restart before the windows logo arrives on screen, and then something the inputs and outputs screen..... all depends on the motherboard, manuf and bios manuf.
Rob

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 03:19:21 PM »
I will check the bios but I don't think there is an option for ECP.  Thanks!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 03:34:23 PM »
Rob