Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:52:14 AM

Author Topic: Mach 3 Lathe questions  (Read 2031 times)

Mach 3 Lathe questions
« on: October 11, 2016, 07:10:07 PM »
In Mach 3 Mill I can't find a way to drive a stepper motor as a spindle using a Xulifeng 4 axis motion card.  I can't program the fourth axis that way.  I was wondering if Mach 3 Lathe can operate a stepper motor driven spindle using this card. I'd have to be able to set up the spindle as an axis drive I believe.  The reason for doing this is I have a stepper driven 7x12 lathe that I use as a fourth axis just fine.  However I would also like to run it as a spindle with the toolpost mounted to the mill head.  That part is done, I can spin it a hundred turns, position but I just can't make it turn continuously.

Can Mach 4 do this?

Thanks,

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 3 Lathe questions
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 10:04:04 PM »
May want to have a look at this thread as a user by the name of Simson36 did a lot of work in developing a fourth axis ( servo driven but did try stepper driven) with the cutter mounted to the mill's spindle.  Not sure if there is some relevant info for you.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,11422.msg72469.html#msg72469

----------------------------------------

It's been a "very long time" since I tried using a stepper as the motor for a lathe spindle. Frankly it leaves a whole lot to be desired.

I was trying to be able to both index or run continuously the lathe spindle.

RICH
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 08:37:01 PM »
Rich,
I have a large stepper driven by a 68 volt supply and a 3.6:1 timing belt reduction, and I get 1000 rpm at the spindle using 32 microsteps with no problem. It is likely not as good as a vfd or servo drive, but it will allow me to turn and machine a part without refixturing it.  I can turn a part now as long as I simply program enough turns to match the X travel, but then it unwinds to get back to zero.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 05:45:25 AM »
  I can turn a part now as long as I simply program enough turns to match the X travel, but then it unwinds to get back to zero.
Just have a macro to reset the DRO to zero, that is what I do on the coil winder.

Hood