Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 04:06:43 PM

Author Topic: Mach4 4/5 Axis  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
Mach4 4/5 Axis
« on: October 05, 2016, 03:44:22 PM »
Hi,
Has any one used Mach4 in actual machining of general 4/5 axis objects and/or 3D engraving models using 4 or 5 axis?
I have waited 18months and still not able generate a toolpath display using G-Code of any 4/5 Axis object, am I the only one?
Below are some simple examples of 4 Axis just a Circle, but it displays it as a line (first check them out on mach3).
The other mach3 great accurate option that is not in mach4 is the A axis variable speed that utilises the Z axis, this is essential for carving models with fine detail when using small cutters for constant surface speed.
The third issue is the useless continuous toolpath display loops that can utilise up to 100% of any GPU including CPU/GPU even after it has just loaded a file and is not run (highly apparent on 3D model fine engraving G-Code).
Finally the amount of time it takes to load a large file 3 times slower that mach3.
These issues makes mach4 unusable for any 4/5 axis model carving/engraving and mach3 in these areas is still the one to use (and when you have made dedicated hardware for mach4 then you cannot use both on the same machine).
Maybe if we get an option to turn off the Toolpath display and its looping, then we may be able to do some actual machining (that is if someone has actual machined 4/5 axis items).
Your thoughts.
Regards,
Mauri.

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
Re: Mach4 4/5 Axis
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 11:19:29 PM »
Hi,
I presume that since no one has responded, that it means no one has used mach4 on any 4/5 axis Cutting on General Machining or Carving/Engraving 3D Models!
Please let me know if this is not correct or when anyone will do it and what they have found in relation to my post below.
Regards,
Mauri.
Re: Mach4 4/5 Axis
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 03:57:01 PM »
I am finishing up my 4 axis mill and hope to test cut something this week.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.