Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 09:53:08 PM

Author Topic: mach4 vfd control  (Read 6105 times)

Offline mark4

•  167 167
    • View Profile
mach4 vfd control
« on: October 03, 2016, 06:26:28 PM »
hello all
i am upgrading a bridgeport mill with a ess board and a cnc4pc c23 dual port board with spindle control and a huanyang vfd 0-10v. now this board accepts a step pulse and converts to 0-10v this works mostly i can move the speed up and down but not properly. here is my setup range 0 min rpm 60 max rpm 500 delays set to 0 ratio i have changed it doesnt seem to affect anything. in mach 3 i could dial in the ratio until it achieved the speeds commanded. range 1 min rpm 501 max rpm 4200 delays 0 ratio unchanged this range needs the spindle reversed. here is the rub i change the spindle to reverse and exit to the main screen reset and try the spindle it rotates reversed just like it is supposed to then after a reset or reboot i am not sure it reverts to unchecked and runs forward. so i am looking for where the actual script for this is so i can lock it down so it wont change does anybody have any ideas thank you
mark

Offline mark4

•  167 167
    • View Profile
Re: mach4 vfd control
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 12:49:36 AM »
hello
well looks like this is tougher than i thought can anybody direct me as to where to find the script for the range ratios i will experiment from there. i am not the best programmer in the world but i dont want to spend fruitless hours looking in the wrong place.
thank you
mark

Offline royce

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 10:19:11 PM »
I find it very difficult to understand what you are doing and what exactly you are asking, the grammar is confusing me. Your RPM range should be set per your physical machine. Example 0(MIN) - 4200RPM(MAX). If you are sending out a 10v PWM Signal to the VFD, and the VFD is programmed for I.E. a max of 60hz/min of 0hz, then 700Rpm would equal pretty close to 1v if you checked it with a meter. (4200Rpm/60Hz=70RPM Per Hz). With the ESS you will have an output for the spindle direction (set this to forward, you don't need reverse), and the second output for the PWM Signal.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 10:29:19 PM by royce »
Bridgeport Series 1 Rigid Ram Retrofitted w/PMDX126 BOB, PMDX107, Hitachi WJ200 VFD,ESS, Leadshine DM2282 Drivers running Mach4 comfortably.

Offline mark4

•  167 167
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 01:16:12 AM »
hello
thank you for your reply, i will explain better. first my machine is a bridgeport series 2 cnc with a varispeed head which means i have 2 gear ranges. 1st gear is the bull gear known for its torque rpm 0-500 spindle relays are reversed. 2nd is high speed gear 501-4200 relays forward. note the forward and reverse relays need to swap for each gear range. so i set up the ranges like this
range 0 min rpm 0 max rpm 500 accel time 0 decel time 0 feed back ratio 1 reversed yes
range 1 min rpm 501 max rpm 4200 accel time 0 decel time 0 feed back ratio 1 reversed no
i installed a huanyang vfd which is working properly with 0-10v input
i have a cnc4pc c23 dual port board with spindle control this works with step and direction so you set
ethernet smooth stepper config motors spindle setting mode step/dir pulse width 4.00
ethernet smooth stepper config output signals signal motor step port 1 pin 14 (this is what sets the 0-10v)
ethernet smooth stepper config output signals signal motor dir port 1 pin 16 (this leave blank as it will conflict port 1 pin 16 is the reverse relay)
so that is my setup it will change speed up and down but wont scale it right. i check my rpm with a tach so i dont have voltages but will get them
now forget about high speed and just work with low speed (bullgear) 0-500 rpm
if i command s60 i dont get 60 rpm i get around 240 rpm physical speed mach4 thinks it is going 60 rpm i can use the slider or command more speeds but it isnt the right speed. if i set max rpm some ware around 2000 and command s60 i will get 60rpm however that still wont scale right as when i call s500 i get about 400 rpm. the ratio is wrong but i dont know or cant figure out how to change it.
i have done this in mach 3 the setup was different instead of range it was spindle pulleys i would set current pulley min 60 max 500 ratio ? i would adjust the ratio until my commanded speed = actual speed i have the settings i used some ware.
so i hope that clears up what i am asking all it really is is how can i change the ratio to make my commanded speed match my actual speed
mark

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 07:26:43 AM »
According to the manual you must have the max motor RPM box filled in as that is how they determine how to scale the motor's rpm to give the proper spindle RPM. I would assume if it is not giving perfect RPMs then you could "fudge" the max rpm to help get what you want.
Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline mark4

•  167 167
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 08:35:53 AM »
hello
thank you for the reply i tried changing the motor rpm and may try changing it again. i didnt affect the rpm any amount i could put a finger on and dial it in. also the motor rpm is 0-1440 or 1775 (i dont know which it is that is what the nameplate says) and that wont change so mach has to do two different ratios depending on which gear you are in.
mark

Offline mark4

•  167 167
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 12:27:05 AM »
hi
i tried some more things. i changed the max spindle motor rpm up down around no changes i still cant affect the scale at least not effectively. now this is new mach4 i command 500 rpm the spindle stops, command 10 rpm i get 79 rpm i have a tachometer i set up a chart 10rpm to 500rpm  by tens i will attach but as you will see command 10rpm = actual 79rpm then the speed goes up until command 110 then you are at max speed it stays at max speed until command 370rpm then on command 380rpm the speed drops until command 500rpm = 0rpm actual speed i have changed and prodded mach4 check out my chart and see what you think
thanks
mark
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 03:02:54 PM »
That is a really weird chart. A check of analog voltage going to the VFD while commanding each speed would be a good idea to determine if it is the analog out or the vfd that is not responding properly.
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline mark4

•  167 167
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 12:33:10 AM »
hi
i know really weird i took me some time and the chart to get a grip on what i was seeing i have been using the tach and i did check my voltages but only at full speed and zero so i will check voltages at each speed. however i believe the problem to be in mach or between mach and this board the c23. this board doesnt use pwm it uses a step pulse to set speed this is done through port1 pin14 i have used this board in a mach 3 setup and the spindle speed worked fine. the main problem i think is access we had more to the spindle setup in mach 3 or it is really different in mach 4 which i would expect. what i didnt expect is to get totally stymied will let you know
thank you
mark

Offline mark4

•  167 167
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 06:00:38 PM »
hi
well i still dont have an answer but one of the replies told me to measure the voltage going to the vfd so i am attaching new chart with both tach and voltage data see what you can make of it