Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:40:58 PM

Author Topic: G41 G42 Automatic tool diameter measurement and input?  (Read 1783 times)

G41 G42 Automatic tool diameter measurement and input?
« on: September 25, 2016, 09:40:45 PM »
I searched for a while didn't find any info on implementing automatic tool diameter measurement and compensation.

Any one see this type info anywhere?

My theory of operation is something like this:  Have a probe like a fork shape mounted horizontally in a corner of the router
with know distance between the forks.  The tool would start in center move one direction touch fork then move opposite
direction touch and edit the tool table automatically.

Thanks for any help!!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: G41 G42 Automatic tool diameter measurement and input?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 09:37:51 AM »
Any one see this type info anywhere?

Yes, a long time ago during a tour of  a company that runs 24/7. They monitor the machining and machine, have it all set up that if the part is nearing out of spec dimension, checks tooling and auto changes  the tooling. They have history on tool life but QC still required tool change after x amount of runs. No human is involved. I was impressed but frankly not practical for the typical  hobby world.

You could probe as you suggested to check, but be carefull, as the tool must be positioned correctly to do it and it dosen't need to be a fork.

RICH

Re: G41 G42 Automatic tool diameter measurement and input?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 07:32:39 PM »
Unless the tool bit is a router bit with no spiral you or your fork is very wide you are likely to get different results on either side. Also one of the reasons for using diameter comp is to correct for tool runout and even deflection. Then there are 3 flute tools that you can't measure with a micrometer. So now you in the realm of non-contact measurements made with say a profile measurement laser and selecting the max measurement at the proper location along the length of a tool. So it gets difficult faster than it gets easy!