Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:40:33 PM

Author Topic: rigid tap and ess  (Read 3172 times)

Offline mark4

•  167 167
    • View Profile
rigid tap and ess
« on: September 23, 2016, 10:19:26 PM »
hello
i upgrade Bridgeport mills to mach4 with an Ethernet smooth stepper i am adding vfd to my setup and am thinking about rigid tapping. i am adding an encoder to my spindle. the questions i have are do you set the ramping or delay to 0 secs or what would be a good place to start. i know i can be done with a soft tapping setup. has anybody done this and do you have any pointers.
thank you
mark
Re: rigid tap and ess
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 10:21:45 AM »
I would suggest checking on the warp9 forum, but I suspect that synchronised motion (spindle + motion) is probably not functioning on the ESS within Mach4.

I am not 100% certain, but it is worth a question on the warp9 forum before being disappointed / getting stressed trying to get it to work correctly.

http://warp9td.com/index.php/kunena/index

unfortunately that is one of those functions that must be carried out directly within the motion controller and is 100% motion controller (and therefore plugin) dependant
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

Offline royce

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 03:27:43 PM »
A zero delay would throw your VFD into fault without a braking resistor. The motor will actually send a current back to the VFD. You should also look into adding a braking resistor to your VFD if you haven't done so already.
Bridgeport Series 1 Rigid Ram Retrofitted w/PMDX126 BOB, PMDX107, Hitachi WJ200 VFD,ESS, Leadshine DM2282 Drivers running Mach4 comfortably.

Offline mark4

•  167 167
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 08:02:49 PM »
thank you for your replies I have posted at warp nine. Royce do you have a braking resistor on your vfd and did you always have it or did you add it later. thank you
mark

Offline royce

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 08:39:41 PM »
I added maybe a month after my retrofit. It was taking 5~ seconds or so for the spindle to fully stop, now i'm at less than half a second if not shorter. Cheap chinese one off fleebay, forget the exact size.
Bridgeport Series 1 Rigid Ram Retrofitted w/PMDX126 BOB, PMDX107, Hitachi WJ200 VFD,ESS, Leadshine DM2282 Drivers running Mach4 comfortably.