Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:14:44 PM

Author Topic: Bad Parallel card?  (Read 2816 times)

Bad Parallel card?
« on: September 05, 2016, 05:14:15 PM »
I'm not getting any change in my pin voltage under any circumstances.  I use my Port 1 378 Port 2 800 and nothing.  Port 1 378 nothing and Port 1 800 gives me an error.  So i'm thinking it may be the 21 pin card I installed on my computer.  Any suggestions on what card to use??

Thanks Wayne

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Parallel card?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 02:07:48 AM »
Go into Windows Device Manager and check that the address for your parallel card is indeed 0378.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 07:00:08 PM »
My card is on port 2  800  My port 1 378 isn't a 21 Pin Port.  My Mach 3 is running fine.  Cuts the Road runner and Ball templates just fine.  Arrows and Pge Up Pge Dwn move my XYZ Axis settings just fine.  I'm not sure where I loose my signails but they aren't getting to my Step motors and from my volt tests my port isn't putting out any signals.  I installed an ASIX MCS 9835 parallel card and it has installed just fine my Mach3 program runs through G-Code just fine.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 01:24:34 AM »
My port 1 378 isn't a 21 Pin Port.

What do you have have for port 1 then ?

What does Device Manager show for the address (I/O Range) of port 2 ?

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 02:45:39 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 03:20:22 PM »
Port 1 is disabled Port 2 is selected and the correct three digit number (800) has been set. I've put the question to Mach support and I'm waiting for a reply.

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 03:30:07 PM »
A volt meter is not really a good way to check these signals and they are pulses and do not deliver a constant voltage.  Depending on the quality of the voltmeter and the duty cycle of the signal, you'll get anything from no voltage to a voltage reading much lower than the expected 5V.  You really need to check the signals with an oscilloscope but that is beyond the capability of most hobby machinists and more expensive than it's worth.

So you made the right choice coming here for assistance.  However, I'm not sure I understand the trouble.  You said the machine cuts the sample files just fine which means the stepper motors are running and therefore your stepper drivers are getting the pulses.  Could you explain a bit more what you're not seeing?

Stephen "Highspeed" Kruse
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 06:30:45 PM »
As I understand you need an oscilloscope to check the step pins but the Direction pins should give you a 5v - 00v reading when pressing + and - axis keys for that pin.  I don't have an oscilloscope to check my step pins but I'll try and borrow one for further testing.  I taught electrical theory before I retired but don't have access to the school anymore.
When I said cut, I meant the Mach3 program goes through the entire process of running the g-code.  I get nothing from my CNC Machine.  I understand vocabulary is critical here.  Sorry for any confusion.  I set all my pins to 0 and started with my X Dir Pin.  I set it at 2 and moved my X Axis DRO by pressing my left and right Arrow keys, Then 3 and 4 and so on testing my X Dir Pin setting one digit at a time and still have no movement on my CNC table.  Mach3 isn't giving me any errors my computer has been ran through all my drives and my CPU and all is working fine.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 01:28:57 AM »
To avoid duplication of this thread please continue the topic here; http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,33211.0.html

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 02:07:40 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE