Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:06:45 PM

Author Topic: What drive to use with this motor?  (Read 2926 times)

What drive to use with this motor?
« on: September 05, 2016, 08:00:59 AM »
Hi guys looking for advice towards what model drive i should use to power this motor? The motor is a Parker SME82, had a look round but got lost trying to find a compatible drive for a decent price, cheers  ;D   

Link to where i bought it:-    Look at this on eBay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182199423112
Re: What drive to use with this motor?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 08:35:57 AM »
Hi BoronNitirde,
do you know what sort of position feedback it has ie encoder or resolver?

I bought a 'you beaut' servo off eBay thinking to use it for a spindle. When it
turned up it's in beautiful maybe even new condition despite being made in the
mid 90's.

I thought I was going to be able to run it with a sensorless vector  VFD. It does
work but not nearly as well as I hoped or as it is capable of. I started looking for a
drive for it and came unstuck. This servo is fitted with an 8 pole resolver so choices are
limited and those that would work are way out of my budget.

I realise now that AC servos are quite a bit more reliable than the drives and consequently
come up second hand cheap but not so the drives.

I elected to make my own. A brave (read stupid) decision. I haven't bailed on it yet and
I've learnt a lot along the way but....

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 03:04:07 PM »
The best bet is to get one from Parker that  is meant to be used with that motor.
There are drives capable of using third party motors, the Allen Bradley DDM and DSD drives can, you just have to configure a custom motor profile with the specs of the motor you have. I think also the Control Tequniques Uni Drives can be configured for third party motors as well and I am sure there are others.

The Allen Bradley ones will not take resolver input though, although yours may well be encoder anyway. The UniDrives  can have modules added for different feedback types, not sure if resolver is one though.

Hood
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 03:36:30 PM »
Thanks for the replys guys, did some digging from what i could find this motor has encoder feedback, had a look at the vix and aries series drivers but there are quite a few and im not quite sure which one is the right one, also spotted a few compax drives from parker which will run on 240Vac which is a requirement as i dont have 3 phase at home, this is the drive i found but i have no idea whether its compatible with this motor  ??? Look at this on eBay  http://www.ebay.de/itm/252179487130  hopefully this motor will end up as a spindle for my lathe alongside the panasonic motor mentioned in my other post  ;D

Just also found this Look at this on eBay  http://www.ebay.de/itm/262051282902
What confused me is on the motor label the wattage according to the v and a rms is 618w where as the Pn is 1.04kw is this the peak the motor will run at? Will it run at just over 600w until you push it to its maximum? Dont want to be blowing an expensive drive, the aries drive is 750w according to the order code, hmm  ???
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 03:46:17 PM by BoronNitride »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 06:30:13 PM »
Not a huge amount of info for that motor on Parkers site, what there is seems a bit contradictory.

Regarding the Kw, you work it out from the Continuous Torque and the rated speed. Strange thing is looking at the part number it seems to suggest rpm is 5200 but working backwards from the torque and Kw suggest it is approx 3300rpm, maybe the part number is giving the speed at 480v or something.

I did see mention of the aries series being ok for that motor but as I said the next thing I read seemed to contradict it, so not  sure.
Maybe see if you can find the programming software, often you can set up an offline drive in the software and it will give you a list of compatible motors.

One last thing, according to the part number it seems to have a single turn Hiperface encoder, if that is correct then you will have to make sure any drive you get has that capability as they are sine/cosine encoders.

Hood
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 03:46:09 PM »
Thanks for the reply Hood, i too got extremely confused over there website and got frustrated looking for specs so i messaged customer service at Parker for a list of compatible drives, hopefully they will be able to help me, the seller also thinks the motor is 5200 rpm max so that should be way fast enough for a spindle as i dont plan on turning any tiny parts.
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 06:19:17 PM »
Found a link to a manual of a drive i posted earlier (compax3) : https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.compumotor.com/manuals/Hauser/Compax3/Compax3_Single-Axis_UG_Feb_2004.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjFza6b4vvOAhUkKsAKHblXBGgQFgggMAI&usg=AFQjCNEcaiQHBIaeHQDCWKxbaBEOePlZDA&sig2=_dDwzPyMLFfDJ8iI9sGaUQ

It supports sin cos feedback, just about the right amperage for my motor however i havent got a clue what profibus dp is, not sure whether you can alter it to step/dir to be compatible with the ESS  ???
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 06:25:06 PM by BoronNitride »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 03:42:57 PM »
If you look on page 8 it tells you the section of the drives part code which determines the command type. For Step/Dir the code needs to be I10

Hopefully Parker have got back to you with some info.

Hood