Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:48:59 AM

Author Topic: Switching from 7761s2 to 7762s  (Read 17936 times)

Offline ACP

•  9 9
    • View Profile
Switching from 7761s2 to 7762s
« on: September 04, 2016, 05:14:49 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance for hopefully helping me with this question. In advance I should mention that I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to setting this stuff up. I own a custom motorcycle shop and I use my mill for making custom one off parts. I bought the machine about two years ago and it has been working fine but there are just a couple of issues I was having. One of them was that I could not use peck drilling and the other was a tiny pause on simultaneous 3 axis movements. I was advised that it may have had to do with the outdated 7761 controller I am using. As luck would have it my friend was selling his 7762 so I figured I might as well pick it up. Therefore now I am at the part that scares me very much because i do have a working machine I would just like to make it better but I cannot afford to lose my CNC capabilities for too long.

How would I go about doing this?
Do I just unplug the old unit and plug in the new one?
I assume I need to install new drivers and plugins on Mach 3?
Will I lose all that has already been setup (plugs, ports, spindle)?

Sorry for the questions I know its all probably pretty basic stuff to you guys but I was reading the setup instructions and the bit I understand seems pretty intimidating.
Please let me know what info may help with this.

Off the top of my head here are some things to know.
I am running an old knee mill that was retrofitted a couple of years ago.
Running it on an old Dell Windows XP comp.
Running MACH 3.

Thanks again.
Re: Switching from 7761s2 to 7762s
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 02:59:27 PM »
Hello,

On the existing system, what breakout boards are being used with the 7761 DSPMC? This will help us determine the compatibility.

If you're not certain about the breakout boards, you can take pictures and post them over here so we can take a look.

Depending on what parts are currently present on your machine, you may need to perform some rewiring by consulting the pin layouts for the 7762 DSPMC.

The software configuration will also need reviewing since the 7762 Mach3 plugin has been updated several times.

Let me know what parts are present, and I'll let you know what can be done.

-Marc
Vital System Inc.

Offline ACP

•  9 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 04:10:28 PM »
Hi Marc,

Thanks for getting back to me so I am using two 7721 cards and 7535.
This scares me to death because as before mentioned I cannot afford to lose my machine for long.
Anyway I look forward to hearing back from you.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 12:04:24 PM »
Hello,

The 7721 and 7711 breakout boards ought to be similar since they just bring out the DB25 pin connections on screw terminals. Our engineer verified that the connections on J2 (for analog I/O) and J6/J7 (encoder channels) should be similar.

What may not be compatible however is if you have just the plain 7535 breakout board connected on J4/J5. This is because the plain "7535" breakout board is not made for the 7762, in which case you would need to purchase a "7535P" or "7535N" board for use with the 77762. If you already have the "7535P" or "7535N", then that should already be compatible.

Aside from that, you'll need to update your Mach3 plugin as the 7762 uses a more updated plugin version. And because you did not purchase the 7762 directly from us, you may need to update the firmware on that.

-Marc
Vital System Inc.

Offline ACP

•  9 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 08:37:17 PM »
Hi Marc, So we have changed out the card. Updated the firmware and fpga. All went seemingly smooth but when we try to hit the reset button it kicks out right away and sometimes throws a code "command killed due to buffer error". Also as soon as I start mach3 there is an error led on the 7762 and seems there is red led as well as green led on the 7535p. Please let me know what I can do. Thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 01:33:50 PM »
Hello,

Looks like we were able to make sure via remote login that your DSPMC was enabling fine using our default Mach3 DSPMC profile.

-Marc
Vital System Inc.

Offline ACP

•  9 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 08:31:02 PM »
Hi Marc,

I have spoken to the guys at machmotion, I don't know if I mentioned this to you or not, but its just their screen (Ultimatescreen) I was using not their controller. In any case, we did not fix the issue but we did make a small improvement. He changed the active low values to off in the input signals window of ports and pins for the limit switches and the e-stop button. After that change the system would arm but the z-axis and y-axis would start moving very slowly as soon as the system armed then a few seconds later I got message about buffer being overrun and then the mach3 crashed. After that he told me that this is a VS issue and he has gone beyond what they support. Any thoughts?
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 11:45:40 AM »
Hello,

I would try using the default profile that I provided, and try configuring stuff from there. Because for one thing, I don't know which plugin and firmware versions Machmotion used for this system. They could probably give you the plugin and firmware versions that they used to make their screen, and it will probably work from there.

-Marc
Vital System Inc.

Offline ACP

•  9 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 02:40:49 PM »
Well ok then.
Is there a particular website where I can start reading up on this stuff? I have think I have a half decent grip of the parts inside the box but I have no real understanding on their interactions. I have no idea how to determine what should be connected to what pin and how that translates to inside mach3 when you look at ports and pins. I didn't build this machine but I don't mind getting my hands dirty with it.
It seems to me like if it used to work fine it should not be too far off and unless there are differences in the 7762 ports and pins to the 7761 ports and pins, this should all be software related. While I really do appreciate the help from both Vital and MachMotion, confirming that the 7762 is talking to the computer does not solve my problem. I don't mind learning but I need material for that. If anyone else has some ideas and advice I would love to hear it. Marc I am also willing to pay you for support or anyone that can help me with this.

Here is a list of know facts;
-This machine was built by someone else. It worked ok for the last two years with the 7761, 7535 (not v3), 7721p. It uses and dell with XP, Mach3 with 2.********* revision and Ultimate Screen. It uses dc brushed servo motors and motion dynamic cards
-I took out the 7761s and directly replaced with a 7762s. Plugged in everything to where it was plugged in before.
-As soon as the install was done I ran the VSI device manager and upgraded both the firmware from 7.********* and the fpga file to current files. Based on the file I read I disabled the J11 & J12 Stepgen and Encoder Variables in VSI Manager. All the firmware pins have -1 value in VSI Manager as well
-I also upgraded the mach3 driver
-When the mach3 was loaded up the machine would only arm momentarily. The z and x axis moved when it armed for that split second. the only error message was "command killed due to buffer error" When I had the e stop in it would not try to arm at all which I thought was a good thing. on the pins window in Mach3 the emergency led light was flashing red and all the limit switches were yellow
-Marc remotely accessed the machine and verified that the 7762 is in communication with the computer. Nothing changed after a new XML file was loaded by Marc.
-MachMotion went remotely on line and changed the value of the input pins on the e-stop and limit switches from low active to high active and at that point the machine was able to arm but again z axis and x axis were in motion. and after about 3 seconds I had an error message that said" buffer overrun". When you click ok Mach3 just shuts down.
- I went back in just to see what would happen if I only changed the low active value for the e-stop and not the limit switches. The machine armed but disarmed right away saying limit switches are triggered which is obviously not true.

Where do i go from here?
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 02:46:43 PM »

If you are interested in paid service, we can do a remote login into your system and try to diagnose the fault.  Please reply to support _at_ vitalsystem.com and we can provide you a quote.  Since you are in a rush, I think this will get you going quickly.