Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:04:47 PM

Author Topic: PicEngrave & Impact Engraving  (Read 10130 times)

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
PicEngrave & Impact Engraving
« on: August 22, 2016, 08:09:02 AM »
Hi,

Does anybody know if PicEngrave can be used for impact engraving? If so, any reference on how to do this?

Any other alternatives aside from the Impact Engraving plugin? I know Dot-G does it, but seems a bit low on resolution.

Dan
Re: PicEngrave & Impact Engraving
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 09:05:12 AM »
PicEngrave can be used for impact engraving with a Dithered image and a tool like this. 

https://www.amazon.com/3-Electric-Engravers-Carbide-Tip/dp/B00EQCZWX8/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1471956840&sr=8-13&keywords=impact+engraver

It would plunge the tool to the surface in black areas for impacting and then retract in white areas. Or reversed. 
Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 09:35:58 AM »
This tool is for manual engraving. It is going to oscillate at 50 Hz continuously... Not sure I understand how the process works. Or should it not be energized?

I have looked through the software, but can't see the option for this... ?

Thanks,
Dan
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 10:35:13 AM »
You would have to mount it on your CNC machine like you would with a hand router such as a Dewalt DWP611. Those Dewalts are made for manual/hand routing, not for CNC machines. The Spindle engraving profile in PEP5 could be used like I stated with a Dithered image.

The built in image editor in PEP5 will created Dithered images, then set the min 3rd axis value at zero and zero the Z axis and diamond tip above the material so it will not impact in white areas, then the max 3rd axis value be just at or slightly below the surface to impact.

There are other impact tool options for sale that may be easier to mount. I just did a quick search on Amazon for that one.    
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 10:38:24 AM by PicengraverToo »
Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 01:13:25 PM »
Got any Gcode example of the output? How is the impact achieved - by Z movement?

Any examples of work done with PicEngrave? Wonder how the quality is.

Thanks,
Dan
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 02:18:29 PM »
It's achieved by the 7200 strokes per minute of the tool impacting the surface when the Z axis moves the tip down in Black or White areas depending on how you have the settings.

We have no examples of impact engravings, but you can generate gcode for testing with the Demo of PicEngrave. Or, are you already a registered user of PEP? 

Jeff

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 03:09:34 PM »
Thanks Jeff. Again, though, don't fully understand the need for an oscillating engraver - why the single impact itself from the Z move downwards isn't sufficient - like it's done with Dot-G?

Have a key for PEP. Not sure however, if it will also work for the current version on your website. Will see in a moment.

Dan

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 03:34:48 PM »
Didn't work ;)

Dan
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 03:51:20 PM »
The PEP Z axis gcodes will not impact/retract for every X&Y incremental axis move if there are continuous black areas and that is why you need an oscillating engraver to constantly be impacting.  

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 01:55:47 PM »
I cannot get PEP4 to work. I have it activated, but I don't seem to figure how to generate Gcode. I have an image loaded, but I don't see any button for generating Gcode. The manual says such a button should appear once an image as been loaded, but I just don't se it on the screen...

Also, have an error and the program crashes each time I am trying to edit the settings and save them.

Dan