Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:34:20 PM

Author Topic: NEED HELP Keeping Spindle ON, or Pausing/Resuming Routine  (Read 4491 times)

Offline MrG

•  2 2
    • View Profile
NEED HELP Keeping Spindle ON, or Pausing/Resuming Routine
« on: August 19, 2016, 01:05:32 AM »
I am new to routing/Mach3. I am running Mach3 in WinXP to a tabletop Chinese router. I have a need to trim two edges of a small, square circuit board. I have to trim hundreds of boards. It takes 5 seconds for my spindle to spin up, but only a about 10 seconds to run the routine. So, a lot of time is wasted waiting for my spindle to get to speed. When the spindle reaches Home it shuts off. Is there a way to simply keep the spindle ON? That's the best solution. Short of that, is there a way to start the routine and then pause and wait for a 1-click input to resume the routine? That way, the spindle could be spinning up while I'm changing out parts to be routed. I really appreciate anyone's suggestions. Thanks.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: NEED HELP Keeping Spindle ON, or Pausing/Resuming Routine
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 02:06:57 AM »
I fully understand what you wish to achieve and why but changing the work piece on a live machine with a running spindle is just not acceptable practice (it is perhaps better to waste part of your life waiting for a spindle to spin-up than spend the rest of your life with a possibly irreversible injury).

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline MrG

•  2 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 11:07:09 AM »
Your point is well taken. I appreciate your concern for my safety. Life is a series of calculated risks. You're not considering my frustration level, nor the setup on my rig.

Might anyone have a solution to my query, on a purely hypothetical basis? Thanks.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 06:08:42 PM »
1. See if you can reduce you spindle accel time. Even cutting one second would make a big difference.
2. Fixture more than one part at a time. Cutting two parts per spindle start stop is a huge time savings.
3. Be careful. A cutter at 20k can ruin you whole year. Safety first.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 06:12:09 PM »
Remove the M5 from your g-code.

But if you're hands are anywhere near the cutter, sooner or later you're going to get injured.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 12:02:28 PM »
I have the same issue. I have a routine to cut keyholes in wood. I have a jig that works for any size up to 24x24 and after the operation the program tells the machine to move away to a safe location based on the size of the work piece. At the beginning of the g-code, the m3 s1 command turns the spindle on but at the end of the program the spindle shuts off even though there is no m5 command.
Does Mach inherently shut the spindle down at the end of the g-code and what triggers it??
Thanks

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 01:30:28 AM »
Does Mach inherently shut the spindle down at the end of the g-code and what triggers it??

In Config. / General Config. the box Pgm End or M30 or Rewind determines the Spindle action.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 09:27:49 AM »
That's exactly what I want.....
Thank youy