Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:03:05 PM

Author Topic: Mach, Galil, VFD not communicating  (Read 5226 times)

Mach, Galil, VFD not communicating
« on: August 15, 2016, 01:24:58 AM »
Hi all, new to the forum. I'm 99.9% finished with a servo-actuated router build, and I'm hung up on the VFD spindle.

Controller: DMC-2140
VFD: Hitachi SJ200-2
Plugin: re-downloaded the non-SmartTerm version last week.

The spindle runs correctly using OFW, so I know the wiring is good, but I can't get Mach to generate voltage at MOCMDW.

Ports & Pins:
Spindle is Enabled, with everything else set to null.
Enable output is set to pin 41, and it responds as expected with a SH command (I'm fine with forward-only for now).
Spindle setup tab, Motor Control: Use Spindle Motor Output is checked. I'm not sure whether PWM or Step/Dir is more appropriate (neither is true in this case), but I have to choose one, and I've tried both with no luck.

Galil plugin:
Axis setup: A is mapped to W(D), configured as a servo (X, Y, and Z are mapped 1:1 as servos, and working beautifully).
Spindle is 0v to 10v is checked, Encoder is not.

Spindle Pulleys:
I set a 1:1 pulley at 1000rpm to be safe. Spindle runs at 24000rpm @ 400Hz

Motor tuning: Spindle:
Steps per is set to 60 (again, to be safe), and I've moved it around with no effect.

Is there anything that I'm missing..?
Re: Mach, Galil, VFD not communicating
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 08:52:30 PM »
Figured it out. It was the axis mapping. Somehow I failed to notice the "S" in the Axis Mapping tab in the Galil plugin setup, so it was trying to send signals to a nonexistent A axis. S=Spindle, of course.

So the correct setup for my 3-axis servo router with a VFD-controlled spindle is:
Mach Axis  -> Galil Axis
X:-> X(A) Servo Motor
Y:-> Y(B) Servo Motor
Z:-> Z(C) Servo Motor
S:-> W(D) Servo Motor

Seems simple enough, but after the 10000 other things that went into this build, I somehow missed that. Now I have a fully running machine!