Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:23:22 AM

Author Topic: Improved g83 macro with bug fixes (I hope)  (Read 3707 times)

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
Improved g83 macro with bug fixes (I hope)
« on: August 10, 2016, 07:07:46 AM »
The really slow speed of the G83 instruction in Mach3 Lathe bugged me so much I had to try to fix it.
See attached for my new version - you will have to rename it to M1083.m1s of course. I would welcome test results.
(It works fine for me, but I recommend some air cutting first.)

There was a line of code missing in the version in the .062 kit, to do the rapid feed down to near the last drill depth. Without this instruction the Z axis crawled along at G1 speed the whole way, each time. I have fixed this.
I have also tidied up the code a bit. There is still one wierdo in there which I do not understand, but it does nothing.

Now, this is for the lathe, so it ASSUMES that X=0 and ignores any X value you might provide. I suggest you move to X=0 BEFORE you use this macro. If you really want, a move to X=0 could be inserted in the macro, but I strongly prefer that such moves be explicit, so I know when they are going to happen.

Cheers
Roger
Re: Improved g83 macro with bug fixes (I hope)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 09:07:05 AM »
Thanks Roger; that will be a great time saver!  I'll try it out when I get back to doing to some lathe work.  Stuck on the mill with tons of work at the moment. :(
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 01:03:04 AM »
Sorry all - there are still some funnies in the M1083 macro.
It works for the normal basics, but you can have some accidents if you go outside the 'normal'. I am currently trying to rewrite it from scratch to handle all the bugs. I would like to add an extra feature to it while staying within the obvious requirements and expectations.

Cheers
Roger

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
Re: Improved g83 macro totally rewritten
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 05:55:20 AM »
OK, attached is the totally rewritten version of M1083.m1s.
Also attached is an explanation of what it is all about.
I would love to hear from anyone who has tried it, successfully or otherwise, and especially if you have found any bugs.

Cheers
Roger

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 07:30:28 PM »
No sure if you are aware of it but you can find some drilling macro's for the lathe here:

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,15205.msg101682.html#msg101682

May be worth having a look at the code, haven't used recently but it did work fine on the lathe.

For Reference,

RICH

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 09:03:54 PM »
Hi Rich

Thanks for the comment. Yes, I was aware of that version. It is HUGELY complex and cannot be used from the MDI page, which to my mind is a real limitation. I like to be able to test from the MDI.

The method of passing parameters used in that version is a bit of a hack, and I don't think all those parameters should be in the M83 command anyhow. For instance, if you want to set the feed rate for the drilling, I think one should do so explicitly. If you want to have a pause at the bottom of the drilling, there are other G8n commands for that. And having to start every line with Naa(tab) is a right bore: I omit line numbers completely. OK, it is just not my style. :)

Also, the macros do not explicitly handle the case of a negative retract value, which was a major reason for what I did. I wanted retraction to clear the drill flutes, but to keep the drill engaged in the hole. This does of course mean that my version is NOT suited to using the L variable if you have R negative. Fine: I can simply loop in a subroutine in that case, and my code never goes into the incremental mode anyhow.

I have to admit: i have not done much testing of the original version with a negative Retract value. As I wanted to fix the slow crawl back into the hole anyhow, and the original version was in a bit of a mess imho, I found it easier to rewrite the lot.

Different folks, ...
Cheers
Roger

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 08:35:53 AM »
Just another reference, Drill Wizard for Turn ,that may be of interest.
I incorporated the wizard into my screen set.

Here is the link:

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,16533.msg112079.html#msg112079

RICH

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 04:57:14 PM »
Hi Rich

Thanks. I started by searching for threads on G83, but didn't get very far that way. A pity: it seems I missed a lot.

Yes, I too have been 'upgrading' the basic 1024.lset, mainly to take advantage of the modern screens which are slightly larger than 800x600 pixels. I haven't added any significant features, just moved things around a bit and made the tool path window MUCH bigger. I use the displayed tool path for a lot of my g-code debugging.

I tried to use Screen4, but I had problems with it so I switched to Klaus's latest version of MachScreen to do it.

Cheers
Roger
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2022, 05:52:35 PM »
OK, attached is the totally rewritten version of M1083.m1s.
Also attached is an explanation of what it is all about.
I would love to hear from anyone who has tried it, successfully or otherwise, and especially if you have found any bugs.

Cheers
Roger

Hope you're still looking for feedback on this ancient thread.
I've been trying the various M1083.m1s files found on this forum and this one by Roger is by far my favorite. The -R value ability is terrific. Thank you Roger.
I was wondering, however, if there is any way to get G83.1 to work on a lathe since there is no 'C' parameter. (I haven't tried it yet on my mill)
Cheers,
Walt

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2022, 06:41:50 PM »
I am using Mach3. As far as I know, it does not feature a G83.1 command. So I have no experience there at all.

Cheers
Roger