Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:54:56 PM

Author Topic: Diagnostics  (Read 4999 times)

Diagnostics
« on: August 06, 2016, 12:10:25 PM »
Hello First of all I'm new to cnc I have a laser that I built, I'm using Mach 3 with Windows XP I,m using a TB6560 3 axis controller I doubled check all connections I went to the diagnostics screen in mach 3 under Port 1 Pins Current State there are no indicating lights lite What have I done wrong and how do I correct this?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Diagnostics
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 12:36:36 PM »
Sorry to say this but the Port 1 Pins Current State is not a reliable indication. I think it must have a mind all it's own because it used to work well on my setup now it does not work at all.

If you are using XP then perhaps download and run Parmon http://www.geekhideout.com/parmon.shtml this will run in the background and indicate the PP pin states.
There are also other parallel port monitors available - internet search perhaps.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 12:56:05 PM »
Okay that sounds simple but none of my axis do not move in motor outputs I've changed step and direction settings many times still no movement.
Thanks for your help.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 02:06:06 PM »
Until you can get a reliable indication of switch inputs like limits etc you should not really worry about movements of the machine - you may be able to get in going but not stop it ;)

What switch inputs have you got first - limits, homing, e-stop ??

Are there no indications at all in Mach ??
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 02:11:14 PM »
I don't have any limit switches connected yet I wanted to make sure that each axis worked

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 02:20:19 PM »
ah, i see

Personally i would go the other way - limits first then motion, just in case.
So if you have nothing connected - switches etc, how can there be anything to see in diags?
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 03:14:28 PM »
In diagnostics there's a 25 pin DB25 shouldn't there be lights that indicate if the correct pins are working? I'm worry more about the xyz axis moving what good are the limits if you have no movement limits are not required movement is.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 03:25:42 PM »
ok,

can you take Mach out of reset - into working mode?

If you can, do the motors lock or can you move them by hand?
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 03:26:24 PM »
Have you configured Ports and Pins to set what pins control step/direction for the axis motors?  Often times, these troubles (lack of movement, no input signal, etc.) are due to incorrect configuration.  I'd suggest going through the machine setup section in the manual and make sure you thoroughly understand it.  There could of course be other reasons (such as stepper drivers not powered or connected incorrectly) but configuration is the first place to look.  This is especially true if you're not getting any lights in the diagnostic screen.

Essentially, you need to tell Mach3 which port and pin each and every signal is going out on or coming in from.  Without this configuration Mach3 is "dumb" and doesn't know how to control anything.  It's not just plug and play.

I do not know your level of experience with Mach3 so forgive me for being so basic, but my years of troubleshooting electronic/electromechnical systems has taught me to always start with the basics.  Philosophies aside (which came first, the chicken or the egg) let's take it one step at a time and we'll get you running.  Again, no lights on the diagnostic screen for outputs indicates a configuration issue and no further troubleshooting of the electronics is necessary until we get something showing on some output pins.

Stephen "Highspeed" Kruse
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 03:28:54 PM »
Good points Dave.  Looks like you posted while I was typing my reply.  Yes, basic troubleshooting steps are necessary here.  As I replied above, it looks like it may be a simple need of running through the configuration.  No output lights in the Diagnostic screen tell me Mach doesn't know what pins are for which signals.

Highspeed