Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:40:38 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 and the dreaded 6040z  (Read 3101 times)

Mach 3 and the dreaded 6040z
« on: July 27, 2016, 03:05:40 PM »
Just to say I did post on the intro page but do not know if I did it correctly, anyway I have spent the last two days trying to set up the mach 3 programme to the 6040z machine, I have been following a Mach 3 tutorial I downloaded,
I enabled X Y & Z axis to pins 2 through to 7I can move the x y and z axis motors from the keyboard and the buttons on the screen, I had an issue with direction but unchecked two of the step low's in the pin configs.I set the E button as per port 1 pin 13 and that is ok. I set the axis step motors in the motor tune section all ok there, then to the MDI screen and input GO x10 y10 z10 pressed enter and  nothing!following on I made sure the jog led was green,set up the jog speed all ok there. next the charge pump was enabled onto port 1 pin 1 as per instruction, then I enabled the spindle motor to port 1 pin 16 then enabled the active low, then went to spindle set up tab, unchecked the disable spindle relay, and put 1 in both the cw and ccw boxes, when I then used the diagnostic screen made sure the E stop was not active then clicked the spindle toggle button the led next to output 1 was flashing but no spindle movement. I cannot get the spindle to work from the programme, I can use the controller to manually make it work so I guess that rules out the motor and controller being at fault, I have tried to re-configure the spindle motor onto different pins i.e. 15, 16, 17 but still no joy, can anyone help
Thanks
Richard

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Mach 3 and the dreaded 6040z
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 04:56:16 PM »
Try G0 (G Zero) instead of GO (G Oh)
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 05:50:36 PM »
Thanks I will try tomorrow 10.50pm here just thinking about some shut eye, I will let you know what happens, spent some more time in the workshop since my post, still unable to get the spindle motor to run.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 01:20:01 AM »
Re: the spindle, your VFD may not be configured for software control.  There's a whole configuration to making that work and then some additional wiring may be necessary as well.  Also, depending on what electronics are used in the control box you may need a PWM to 0-10V converter to control the speed.  I just got a new 6040Z myself a couple of months ago and have been spending a good bit of time going through it making these type of changes.  My unit is the "black box" controller.

In addition to the Spindle control modifications, I've added wiring from the E-Stop switch to the breakout board and I'm still deciding if I want to remove the input power to the 24V DC power supply from the E-Stop switch.  In the original configuration, the E-Stop simply cut off that power and it took a good second or so before the power would actually drain off.  Additionally, Mach3 had no idea that the E-Stop had been engaged so just kept merrily plugging away at whatever it was doing so all synchronization was lost.  Adding in the E-Stop signal wiring to the breakout board solved that, but I'm stil leaning toward removing the E-Stop button from the power circuit so that Mach3 has a definite chance of sensing the E-Stop condition.

There is a good video showing how to configure the VFD and wire it up for software control of the spindle.  Just google "NowForever VFD".  I'm not sure if that's the VFD you have (mine is) but it will give you some good ideas of what to check for in any case.

Hope this helps,

Stephen "Highspeed" Kruse
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 01:22:05 AM by Highspeed1964 »
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 08:44:52 AM »
Hello all Good news I have got the axis motors moving via the programme, it was indeed the G oh I was typing instead of the G 0 so that is good, as for the controller it is the black box type. As for making wiring changes cor blimey that may be beyond me, according to the set up instruction sheet I should be able to Jog the motor and switch the coolant pump on from mach 3 but I cant I will watch the video clip but it will have to wait as I am getting loaded for our BSA owners club summer camp this weekend so I will be away.
As for the e stop button when I press it on the black box the machine stops dead, but when I click on screen nothing happens so I may have to unable the low switch, I will play around next week
Thanks for your replies.
If anyone wants to call in to Minety to sort it then feel free to do so, tea and cake awaits