Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:04:02 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 Homing switches wiring with Gecko G540 and ESS SmoothStepper  (Read 5358 times)

Offline GENX

•  16 16
    • View Profile
Hi all.
I am having trouble getting my Homing switches to register within Mach 3.

See attached wiring diagram.

My motor power is 48 Volt. Steppers... I was wondering if this is correct of if the limits should be 5 volt signal?

This wiring schematic does not make sense to me as I read somewhere that the G540 puts out 5v+ to PC on terminal #1. If that is the case would not terminal #1 be common to all the limit switches with the individual load side of the switches landing in their respective unique terminal so you can show which axis is homed/limited in Mach3? (I am aware that you can place all the homing switches on one input and have mach home them one at a time.)

However in reading the Gecko literature I think I do have each limit switch appropriately set up to the proper ports and pins input within Mach 3.
If on ports and pins inputs, I x out the active low and x out the emulated button, on the diagnostics screen the LEDS for M1, M2, M3 homing are constantly lit. Under this wiring configuration when I trip a limit I do not see them blink. If I un-x the active low; Then inspect the diagnostics page I do not see a signal LED light up when I trip the limit switches. This tells me the limits are not communicating with Mach.

The cable to kimits I have is 12'- 18 awg.  I tested voltage to + terminal at the return terminal of the Gecko upon tripping the limit switch and it is 36v (starts at 48) so there is some voltage drop. Could this be the reason? I need to shorten the wire or increase the size?

My questions are: at what voltage should these operate at? I read somewhere that there is a pull up resistor that sends signal. But I don't know what type of wiring config I am supposed to be doing now as it's all convoluted...

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 09:50:21 AM by GENX »
Re: Mach 3 Homing switches wiring with Gecko G540 and ESS SmoothStepper
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 11:27:47 AM »
I think you are over thinking it. 
The switches do not run on any type of voltage per say.  It takes that pin number and grounds it out.  The switch is just there to make or break contact. So the signal on the first input grounds out the input is triggered.  The real question is how do you have them setup in inputs?  I hope you are not assuming that since its labeled 1 that it is pin 1.  They will be pins 11, 12, 13 and 14  If you get them to react but they are on and go off when triggered change the active low in the inputs and they will go off and come on when triggered.

Offline GENX

•  16 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 05:23:32 PM »
No I think I have it hooked up right.
See attached link: Page 7
http://www.geckodrive.com/images/cms_files/images/G540%20REV8%20Manual.pdf

Terminal (input) 1 is pin 10,11,12,13,14 respectively. I have each respective input in mach 3 coordinating to the proper pin# of this literature.

I wonder if the ESS Smooth Stepper is interfering somehow? I will need to check when I get back home.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 03:42:15 AM »
The 4 input terminals on the G540 are connected to an internal 12V supply by an internal pullup resistors.

The switches in the circuit above as normally open. When the switch is activated, it connects the input to ground, activating Mach3.

Cheers,

Peter
----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com