Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:20:51 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 software computer requirement to run Mach3  (Read 2796 times)

Mach3 software computer requirement to run Mach3
« on: July 17, 2016, 09:46:40 PM »
Hello
I'm a new member to this forum and have been told that the computer used to run Mach3 has to be a desk top computer with a parallel port running 32 bit windows 7.  I have a friend that is a computer geek that sold me a business laptop computer that has a docking station that has a parallel port that he thinks will work, I hope that the laptops that they say will not work is a regular laptop some of the older laptops have a parallel port if it won't work I have a extra desktop that I will be able to use I just hope that the business laptop with a docking station with a parallel port will work.  What is the reason that they say a laptop will not work, has anybody ever tried a business laptop with a docking station that has a parallel port?
Larry

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 software computer requirement to run Mach3
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 11:55:30 PM »
I would not take a chance with a laptop, go with a desktop

There is a thread in the Mach3 forum under "documents......?" which explains how to run Mach3 on a laptop. If I remeber is the laptop CPU always allocates resources to manage power........
Nicolas

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 01:50:32 AM »
I have a friend that is a computer geek and he thinks that a business laptop with a docking station that has a docking station and has a parallel port will work.

Why not just try it and see ??

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 07:26:43 AM »
James,

We gave tried a number of different laptops over time here and few did work ( PP use). They were older laptops with a PP.
I had a 20 year old NEC ( went to recycle)  that worked a treat but was slow as a snail.

Mach shares time with Windows to control the machine and some just can 't be partners. Some generate / have a poor output pulse signal which causes problems. Just a few high level reason's why.

Get an external motion device for  laptop use and also have a dedicated computer for machine control.

Experiment as you wish...........

RICH