Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:12:53 AM

Author Topic: Another Jukebox.  (Read 12417 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Another Jukebox.
« on: July 13, 2016, 08:10:27 AM »
I don’t know why but I seem to have developed an obsession with Jukeboxes (a second childhood perhaps ?). I already have a 100 selection vinyl, a 2000+ selection CD and a 10,000+ selection all electronic type but I just can’t help myself and have started to build yet another.
This one will be housed in a wall-hanging cabinet constructed of 18mm and 22mm birch ply and before it is all finally glued together I have started CNC routing all the various cut-outs. The front door (housing a touch screen) opens on three concealed cabinet hinges and it took a couple of practice runs to get the hinge positional cut-outs just right. It will contain a small 3+1 amplifier and speakers but will also have an output to a power amp (if required). I have just completed some of the speaker grills which were cut from aluminium faced traffolyte (engraving laminate) and thought I should post a couple of pictures as the project progressed.

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 07:00:54 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: another Jukebox.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 08:27:26 AM »
I seem to have developed an obsession with Jukeboxes

You suffering from DSYLTD and is a common temporary mental illness.
There is no treatment for it, only time will cure it according to studies done.
Just carry on and eventualy you will run out of desire, room, or material.

BTW, nice box, ;D

RICH

DSYLTD Medical description:
Doing Something You Like To Do
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 08:30:17 AM by RICH »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 08:31:07 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 08:35:53 AM »
Just one other thing Tweakie you should be aware of..........

If retired, the medical description is clarified by " and the person doing it Need Not Justify It...... OR.......  make sense of it to anybody".  :D

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 08:45:04 AM »
And you should also understand that it's important to distinguish how the illness affects men or women.

A man can make and play with an empty box and be fascinated by it.
A women will be obsessed with putting stuff  in the empty box.

So it's nature, it's a just a Venus and Mars kind of thing, and must be accepted.  ;)

RICH

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 09:08:04 AM »
Thanks for explaining it all Rich.

As said, I really didn’t know just why I have this obsession but it is all starting to make sense now.

My wife says that "all men should be put onto ‘Prozac’ (Fluoxetine) from the time they come off Mother’s milk" – perhaps this is where I went wrong.  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 05:24:05 AM »
A little bit of reworking on the acrylic front panel, to allow clearance for the recessed hinges (taking care to avoid the clamps  ;)).

Some more progress on the cabinet which, although it is intended as a ‘wall hanger’, now has an optional table stand. Most of the internal baffles have now been fitted and the whole thing has been given a coat of wood sealer.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 10:17:57 AM »
The cabinet has now been sprayed and the acrylic panel fitted to the front door.
Next job is to fit the touch screen and make a  start on connecting up the electrics.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 11:18:24 AM »
Very cool as usual Tweakie; looking good!

Question: Can you explain what this will be used for when you finish?  I get the Jukebox use but I only see 1 speaker cutout.  Is there a satellite speaker enclosure or is it to be a truly period-correct monaural unit for rock-a-billy music? ;D

I'm curious about your electronics widgets as well if you please.
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 12:02:43 PM »
Hi DB, thanks for the kind words.

I think that the speaker cutout that you see is for the bass sub-woofer (which is rear facing) and this, in turn, has a downward facing port. There are also a pair of 50mm (downward facing) middle speakers and another pair of 50mm left and right facing stereo speakers. These are driven by a small internal (low power) amplifier but there will be a take off for an external amplifier (if required). There is a panel which fits over all the individual, internal speaker enclosures and those enclosures (except the woofer) should be reasonably air-tight on the inside.

If it all works as intended I shall be well pleased (and possibly amazed) but there are no guaranties as this is all being done off the top of my head. There are no actual drawings or plans and it is just taking shape as I go.

Tweakie.
PEACE