Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:32:19 PM

Author Topic: G82 Mach3 Lathe issue  (Read 3262 times)

G82 Mach3 Lathe issue
« on: July 11, 2016, 10:03:14 AM »
Having some trouble getting the G82 peck drilling cycle to work on mach3 lathe.  I have been through all the info/posts on here and everywhere but still it doesn't work (much to my frustration!!).  I have G83 working fine on the machine, but with the G82 code below it seems like it just jumps over the G82 line.    What's missing!?  Thanks

G20 G40 G18 G90 G80 G54

G28
T404                ;16mm spot drill
S200 F20
M3 M8
G00 X0 Z1
G82 X0 Y0 R1 Z-20 P1000 L1 F10 G98
G80
G28
M30

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: G82 Mach3 Lathe issue
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 01:29:27 PM »
Dont think there is  G82 in Turn.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 02:46:56 PM »
Ah ok.  Damn!  Thanks for that info.   Any other ideas?!   I'm just looking to peck drill with no retract so that the chips get broken up.  It's a very soft alluminium which struggles to chip up, and comes off in a long string as a result.

PS I'm just down the road from you in Glasgow ;-)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 02:59:27 PM »
Someone did some drilling macros, can't recall exactly what is in them but the readme file should have info.
You will find them here.
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,15205.0.html

Have a friend in Glasgow that I am currently helping set up a Beaver TC15 lathe, we just got the turret working the last day :)

Hood
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 03:12:40 PM »
Good work.  You're over the hurdle!    I have a denford cyclone with a turret here amongst others- lighter than the beaver!   Swing by if you fancy a break from looking at the machine- to look at another machine!!  Might be worth pooling resources.  I'm at Port Dundas - will PM address if interested.   

Yeh I have used those macro programs from RICH before- they are great but I struggled to get it to pass variables into the subprograms as I remember it.  You've jogged my memory though so I'll take a look at them again.  Ta   

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 03:24:55 PM »
I have just been helping via email, don't really like driving so have only been through once or twice.
The Beaver is a nice machine, bit smaller than my lathe but it is a sturdy animal.
The  original setup on my lathe was a 6pos rear turret and a 4way toolpost at the front, both fully hydraulic indexing. They  worked OK but I got hold of a turret from a Bullard lathe and converted that to servo and fitted it to the front instead of the toolpost. Having two turrets on the same slide made you have to really think about clearing things so in the end I removed both turrets and machined/fabricated a 12 position turret. That worked well but was a bit too cluttered so I then decided to make another turret, this time an 8 position VDI 30 one. That is what I have now and it works well.
Here is a vid of one of the first run of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1smk1_MMwYs

Think the macros were by melee, Rich just linked to them.

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 05:06:48 PM »
I used to use the M830 macro, and the key was you had to use G-code files with line numbers, just like the example files show.
I think you might also of had to use .nc as the file suffix.
They certainly worked fine for me, but I was hand coding the files. I think it might be a bit more of a challenge trying to get a CAM post-processor to output the required code though.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 08:04:12 AM »
Have not used Melee's lathe drilling macro's in some time. I used it for drilling small holes with  a live high speed drill mounted on the carriage.
What is neat about the macro is that you can index the spindle and drill on some radius or offset which provides for very accurate drilling in
or along the lathe axis without removing the stock. The pecking working great and adding some dwell time at a point during the cycle allowed
for the small bit to stabilize before doing feeds  at an extremely  slow feed rate.

Now for quicker and usual lathe drilling work I may use the Lathe Drilling Wizard done by DaOne and here is a link to the wizard:

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,16533.msg112079.html#msg112079

I added the wizard to my Lathe screen as part of a  wizard page:
Pick attached of that wizard.

One should always test any wizard before actual use.  ;)

RICH

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 08:18:20 AM by RICH »
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 11:46:41 AM »
Will check that out Rich - thanks!    

yeh, I also had some degree of success with Melee's macro that is effectively a G83 with a rapid feed to get over how slow the mach3 lathe peck drilling programs are.  I got stuck with trying to pass variables into the macro though so eventually moved away from it.  This was my post at the time  > http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,32226.0.html.  It sounds like there may be one which is closer to the G82 program - where it's effectively adding a pulsed dwell time on the way in rather than retracted.  Will need to take a closer look at them too...  

Very impressive 'homemade'  ::) Toolchanger Hood.