Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:32:03 AM

Author Topic: Jog Step Mode Problem?  (Read 1751 times)

Jog Step Mode Problem?
« on: July 07, 2016, 03:33:47 PM »
Ok how to explain … Mach4, ESS Smoothstepper, G540, Windows  10, small router table… DIY hobbyist with limited understanding and experience, etc., etc…

Using an iGaging Dro to measure the actual movement I get an average of 290.024 mm with a G00 X290 command, and back to 0 which seems ok to me. Y and Z also good.  Did a test pocket and multiple hole pattern that worked.

However: in jog step mode a with single one increment (1 mm) X+ the Mach4 Dro reads 0.9801 every time so that with 10 it’s exactly 9.8010, for X- it’s -1.0098 or -10.0980 with 10 clicks, the iGaging Dro confirms that those pretty much reflect the actual movement of the router so when you cycle back and forth between X+ and X- the Zero-point sort of moonwalks backwards -0.0297 mm per cycle, 10 cycles and your -0.2970 mm off Zero. Really-really annoying, same with Y just marginally different values.

I have a feeling I’m missing something simple, my question is what?

Not sure if it’s related but the other thing I can’t do is jog off a limit switch with the override although homing works and will back of the limits.

Re: Jog Step Mode Problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 03:47:13 PM »
When a motion completes, Mach4 will report the actual final location based on
information from the plug-in and control device. The actual motion will be an
exact multiple of the step or encoder increment that is physically possible. If
the requested location is not an exact multiple of the step or encoder increment,
then the final location will not exactly match the requested location, and the
true location will be reported.

Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
Re: Jog Step Mode Problem?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 04:16:01 PM »
Thanks that helps me understand what I’m seeing so my real problem is the discrepancy between the actual X+ and X- motor movements, probably then just more visible in step mode when moving in smaller increments.