Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:05:11 AM

Author Topic: home and limits question  (Read 9205 times)

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
Re: home and limits question
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 01:40:43 PM »
Thanks Hood

Maybe I havn't been explaining myself very well, but you've obviously understood what I was trying (obviously badly) to say. Also you've given a good reason why the soft limit approach in conjunction with the hard limit switches are the better approach. I now understand why Mach3 opts for this method, which was all I was trying to discuss.

Thanks all for your input. Much appreciated. :)

Hood

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 01:45:44 PM »
No problem stirling and please dont let this put you off bringing ideas to the fore as you may see something that no one else has seen or thought of before.

Hood

Offline lemo

•  135 135
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 08:26:59 PM »
Sharing and discussing concepts always reveals thoughts and points of view one might have overlooked before. I like discussions like this as I always learn from them. Always cool!

Considering the car example, I think about the limit switches as if they are a transparent concrete wall. Not like a child, which you cann see and react upon.

I have not tried it but, are the limit switches active when soft limits are activated? In case, the limit switches could be what they should be, emergency switches, and the soft limits, defined to trigger before the limits are hit...

Maybe I just understood how Mach should be configured hahaha

Happy weekend all!
Lemo
Cut five times and still to short...

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 06:51:27 AM »
All's good - I have reasonably broad shoulders :) This whole question came to me after using a machine for a couple of years without any switches at all. I decided to add them really cos I wanted a home function and thought I'd do limits while I was at it. I'd had very few crashing problems before but thought it might be a good idea as I've (more or less) gained the confidence to leave the machine doing it's thing unattended.

That said I'm still thinking about it cos far from crashing into fixtures etc. the problem I've had more often than anything else is with "shifting islands", and no limits (soft or hard) can help with that one.

Maybe I'll look at spindle and stepper current overload monitoring!!!! - that should sort it ;D

On a completely different tack - has anyone noticed that if you preview a post, when you try to actually post it the board thinks you've already sent it and hacks you off for maybe double clicking the post button? Never happens if I don't preview first.

Offline lemo

•  135 135
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 07:06:23 AM »
Right now I am the biggest danger for my machine. And the fact that I have a fourth axis on the little system congests everything a tad. Limit switches during the setup have prevented a few times that the dimwit at the controls ran the tool into the turntable... Sometimes I also try out G-Code deliverd by someone else, and that's not always 100% cool.
Lemo
Cut five times and still to short...

Hood

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 11:17:44 AM »
On a completely different tack - has anyone noticed that if you preview a post, when you try to actually post it the board thinks you've already sent it and hacks you off for maybe double clicking the post button? Never happens if I don't preview first.

I dont get this, I have just posted a reply to anotherĀ  thread and did a preview first with no problems. What browser are you using?

Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 05:02:22 AM »
IE 6 on XP pro

Hood

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 06:23:32 AM »
Just typing this in IE6 and will do a preview to see what happens.
Hood

Hood

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2007, 06:25:34 AM »
Well it worked fine for me in IE so dont know why you are getting the problems, have you changed any of your security settings in IE?

Hood

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2007, 07:34:41 AM »
Nope. Just a thought but it didn't happen on my last post and I'd just cleaned out the cache etc. so I'm wondering if I had a double clicker or something in there. Anyway, if it's not happening for you it must be a local problem - I'll sort it.

Thanks