Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:26:01 PM

Author Topic: Mach4 probe setup problems  (Read 4289 times)

Mach4 probe setup problems
« on: June 20, 2016, 02:19:48 PM »
I'm trying to set up a probe in mach4 using a probe, c48, c32 boards from cnc4pc. Trying to follow the setup instructions that came with the hardware, I'm experiencing problems get it to work. I can get the probe led from the diagnostic screen to light up, which I assume at this point the probe is setup correctly and working, but when I go to the probing screen in mach4 and try to probe a surface. The axis moves a short distance and then a message appears regarding no probe encountered. I'm also using the Ethernet smoothstepper for connectivity between my hardware and Mach. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? I've tried to contact Arturo from cnc4pc and the guys from warp9t and neither one has been responsive. I'm really getting tired of hardware vendors not having problems taking my money, but when it comes time to support their products, they are nowhere to be found! Sorry for the side rant, just getting sick of some hardware vendors. Definitely going with pmdx for future needs.

Rod

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
Re: Mach4 probe setup problems
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 02:55:48 PM »
If you are using the ESS plugin beta 184 the probing (G31) is not yet functional but should be soon. There are plenty of notes about this on the Warp9 forum.

DazTheGas
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 03:04:28 PM »
Is that the new plugin?

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 03:38:38 PM »
Yes v184 is the latest plugin.

DazTheGas
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas

Offline royce

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 06:00:29 PM »
The full version should be released any day now, just a FYI. Warp9's forum is a great resource for ESS information.
Bridgeport Series 1 Rigid Ram Retrofitted w/PMDX126 BOB, PMDX107, Hitachi WJ200 VFD,ESS, Leadshine DM2282 Drivers running Mach4 comfortably.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 10:00:16 PM »
Well I went back to the old plugin and still couldn't use the probe screen, it would stop the axis movement and the. Give the error message no probe contact. I was however able to manually type in mdi g31 x,y,z then amount then f10 and when I triggered the probe it would stop the axis and recognize the probe input. It wouldn't zero the axis but it did actually recognize I hit the probe. Any ideas why it still won't work with the mach4 probe screen with the old plugin?
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 02:18:25 AM »
Probing on the ess is still not working, the updated plugin is still (eagerly!!!!) awaited.

Probing is not something that Mach carries out, it is a function that has to happen in the motion controller.  The same as torch height control and threading / spindle synchronisation all which will not work unless implemented by the motion controller software programmer.... hence why there are a few Chinese boards that don't support these functions for mach3 that catch new CNC users out buying cheap controllers.

The list of mach4 supported motion controllers is fortunately quite short at present
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 02:57:57 PM »
Update.... Warp9 have now today released a plugin via the forum (its a development plugin) that has probing working on one probe input

Mach4 has the potential for a number of probe inputs.... only one is working or can be set to function on the ESS.

You need to log onto the warp9 forum and download it from there.... not from the website as its a development release.
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”