Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 12:15:17 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 lathe tool offset  (Read 2355 times)

Mach 3 lathe tool offset
« on: May 28, 2016, 02:27:55 PM »
Hi all, and a happy bank holiday to us in the UK.
quick question, my installation on my lathe does not display the tool number in the screen, I can call up the offset in MDI and it becomes active as the change in distance as the offset is loaded is visible in the axis DRO but it doesn't show the tool number. also during a program run, the tool offset isn't called up, neither is the tool number, ive no idea whats going on, has anyone else experienced this issue and how can I rectify it? BTW, it used to work.
ah well, back to a FANUC equipped Doosan with a Y axis and 2 spindles.........and way too much complexity ..

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 3 lathe tool offset
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 05:38:49 PM »
Not sure exactly what you mean about the tool number but there should be a DRO with it in it.
You can also place another DRO on screen or modify the original and it will show not only the tool number but also the offset.

If tools/offsets are not being called during code then it is likely you have the option "Ignore Tool Changes" chosen, it is in General Config.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 08:13:26 PM »
Spot on Hood (as usual!)
its all to do with the demise of my hard drive, got new one installed so having to redo everything, including a new machined from solid saddle and cross slide to replace the woefully inadequate Orac one, along with a bigger x axis ball screw. I shall post some photos, now I have full overlapping support even at X max.
P.S. whats this XML file thingy when its at home and what does it do and where do you put it if you have a hard drive failure?
Kind regards to all
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 08:49:01 PM »
...including a new machined from solid saddle and cross slide to replace the woefully inadequate Orac one, along with a bigger x axis ball screw. I shall post some photos, now I have full overlapping support even at X max.
Cool; can hardly wait for the pics.  ORACSs are my cup'a tea!
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 03:05:36 AM »
P.S. whats this XML file thingy when its at home and what does it do and where do you put it if you have a hard drive failure?
Kind regards to all

The xml is the file that stores all of your configuration info.
You will find it in the main Mach3 folder and if you save it to a safe location such as another computer or even a USB stick then if you need it in the future you place it in the Mach3 folder to overwrite your problem xml.
There will be several xml files in the Mach3 folder, one for each profile.
If you are using the standard Mach3Turn profile then the xml you want is Mach3Turn.xml, if you have a custom named profile then the xml will be whatever you have called your custom profile.

Hood

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 06:17:34 AM »
The XML file is by way of being your Holy Grail ...
It can get corrupted at times.
Cheers
Roger