Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:56:21 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 Threading and Index Signal Problem  (Read 8272 times)

Mach3 Threading and Index Signal Problem
« on: May 24, 2016, 04:51:10 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I did some good things with my Mach3 thanks to your helpful replies around the forum!

But I stuck with index and treading problems.
I almost checked all of the threading posts and index signal posts but still could not figure what is wrong with my system and I would be very appriciate if you guys can help me!

About the system;
I use Leafboy Mach3 Usb Motion Card (AKZ250).
I have a licenced version of Mach3, software is at latest.
I use C3 card for receiving index pulses. (1 slotted disk with approx. 12mm opening.)
Manual spindle control with gear/pako switches. Speed settings can be 33/44/63/110/150/200/.... up to 2000 rpm.

About the program settings;
Kernel speed is 25000Hz
Index signal is enabled on port 11 and "Active Low" unchecked.
"Disable spindle relays" is unchecked.
"Spindle feedback in sync mode" is checked.
"Spindle speed averagging" is unchecked.
I tried every possible setup with Debounce Interval and Index Debounce, no luck. But I am still open to some advice!
Currently Debounce value is 100 and Index value is 10.

The problems are;
I see inconsistent Index pulses from Diagnostic screen for every speed range.
Expect speeds 33rpm and 44rpm, I receive very good RPM feedback. (With 33 and 44rpm, feedback is very unstable and shows 1000-4000rpm movements)
I try to thread the machine with "Simple treading Wizard" but both axis moves to start point and waits for index signal and threading does not start.

I guess index issues are the main problem, but from the LED of both cards (C3 & AKZ250), I see good consistent blinks. Their intervals are exactly the same.
Somewhat Mach3 does not see this blinks correctly. ???

Hope I made every detail clear.
If I forgot any detail please let me know.
I am waiting your ideas!

Thanks,
Ali

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 Threading and Index Signal Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:51:36 AM »
Ali,

I use Leafboy Mach3 Usb Motion Card (AKZ250).

Not familar with that card.
Does it provide for threading?
Can post a link to the manual for it?
I have a licenced version of Mach3, software is at latest.

Try version 062 don't use 066
Post your xml file that your using.

I use C3 card for receiving index pulses. (1 slotted disk with approx. 12mm opening.)

Post a link to that card!
The opening can be calculated, see the Lathe Manual as a guide but can  be larger than calculated ( which may be your problem ).
To test the index see my writeup Threading On The Lathe in Members Doc's.

Debounce affects how manny times Mach must see the index before it accepts the signal and thus threading cycle starts.

RICH

Offline mc

•  382 382
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 01:37:27 PM »
Does the leafboy card support threading?
When using external motion controllers, the motion controller has to support threading, and not all external motion controllers do.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 03:13:28 PM »
hi
i am having the same problems with threading on my lathe which was working very well up to about 2 months ago then it started to play up , i am also using the C3 spindle index pulse board which i think is causing all my problems  , i have a collection of 3 of these boards which all seem to have the same problem on saturday i went to a model engineering exhibition here in the uk with 2 of the boards in my pocket hoping to find the problem from somebody & yes i found out that both boards had the same problem of dry joints on the same component
i am hoping that my boards are being repaired at this moment in time , these boards do not have a good reputation at the moment
all the best
robert  
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 03:55:35 AM »
Hello and thank you for your posts.

You can check below link for motion card manual.
http://leafboy77.com/index.php/en/

Also for C3 index pulse card link is as below.
https://cnc4pc.com/hardware/index-home-limit/c3-index-pulse-card.html

I will try to check with version 062 and see if it will work.

I do not think the problem is in C3 index card, because led blinks seems all good.
As you both Rich and mc say, my motion card might not support threading.
Which card are you using and recommend me?

Thanks,
Ali

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 08:25:39 AM »
I don't see anything that says it supports threading which, as Mc replied, is done via the  card / plug in.
You may want to ask the vendor to confirm.

RICH
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 11:42:27 AM »
hi
i am using a breakout board with the parallel port , my c3 board is also blinking on the red signal led but it is not working properley , i have had word back today that one of boards one item on the that has 3 dry joints & also has a crack across 2 tracks & he doesn't like the boards because of all tracks on the board being a lot too narrow which makes very hard to get a good solder joint on the components
all the best
robert

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 06:45:53 AM »
Spindle Speed Averaging should be ON, and a very small debounce (SW or electronic) may be needed. I suspect your problem may be too much noise on the signal line, and a cracked track is certainly a possibility.

Threading - sometimes not supported on Chinese cards. Same for probing.

Cheers
Roger
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 06:56:32 AM »
Hello,

Wierd thing happens with "Spindle Speed Averaging". When I made it ON and save program values ect. It always starts OFF when I re-open the Mach3.

Meanwhile, as I learn from vendor, signal speed in USB cards are not suitable for exact index pulse.
They recommend over LPT port.
And I guess this is the main problem.

Thanks,
Ali

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 07:42:51 AM »
Wierd thing happens with "Spindle Speed Averaging". When I made it ON and save program values ect. It always starts OFF when I re-open the Mach3.
Config, 'Save Settings' (at the bottom). If that does not work, (re)install Mach3.042.062, and nothign else.

Meanwhile, as I learn from vendor, signal speed in USB cards are not suitable for exact index pulse.
They recommend over LPT port.
And I guess this is the main problem.
Here the problem is actually your vendor, and maybe whatever cheap Chinese USB engine you have. Most of them are crap. Sorry, but.
For the record, something like a USB Smooth Stepper does very good threading.
That said, the USB is a poor choice as it is really susceptible to noise. Arguably the best option is an Ethernet Smooth Stepper.

Cheers
Roger