Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:21:34 PM

Author Topic: cnc training cources?  (Read 2283 times)

cnc training cources?
« on: May 18, 2016, 04:00:15 PM »
Hello,
I'm trying to break into a second career as a CNC operator.
I am very confused about what kind of on-line courses to take.
I have been going to a technical school for computer drafting this past school year and don't want to slow down for the summer but to use that time to sharpen and increase my skills.
Does anyone have experience with online classes that are good for the real world workplace?
Don  
Re: cnc training cources?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 05:14:55 PM »
No

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 06:44:53 PM »
I would suggest you just buy CNC PROGRAMING HANDBOOK by Peter Smid.
It covers a lot. There is also a book by Haas on programing in Members Docs.
The Smid book in the first 100 - 125 pages will ground you in basics and will be a reference for years.

Save your money for courses that give you credit or certificates.

Just my nickel,

BTW, talk to machinists  and find out what they are required to do at work, what they earn, the prospects of work in your area.
Nothing wrong with talking to shops if they would be interested in hiring you as a helper for the summer.

And remember this, a career is only as good as YOUR ability to secure your next position or job.
Fact of life is like .......... big pay the job sucks....great job the pay sucks....never a true balance anymore of things being just right!

GOOD LUCK in your pursuit of happiness,

RICH

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 03:15:12 PM »
Thank you Rich for the recommendations on the books. I'm going to Amazon and check these books out as soon as I am done with this reply.
I am looking for courses that will give me a certificate and or credits that a employer will respect.
I thought that since this is a CNC form that it would be a good place to ask "what schools and or online courses will get me to where I want to be as efficiently, as I myself, can learn in the short time that I have left. I only have allotted myself till the start of the new year (2017) to achieve my goal of a CNC operator and any suggestions will be appreciated and investigated.
Thanks again
Don

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 06:26:30 AM »
Don,

Have a look at Community Colleges, State Colleges, Trade schools within your area. and see what they have to offer.
Look at the mechanical engineering curriculums for courses offered.
A lot of  community colleges offer certificate programs in continuing education. In many cases prereaqusit courses are required.

You may want to research different industrial employers that utilize cnc machinery in their manufacturing. Sometimes they offer / have their owne  on line courses
to be done by the employee. So you could pursue becoming a cnc operator while working there and move up.

Network with people to find folks in the trade. Ask the right questions, be thank full for any advice given, and if done properly you may be surprised on the results.

These days I echo the following:

YOU CAN HAVE ANYTHING YOU WANT, BUT ONCE YOU SELECT IT, YOU MUST PAY THE PRICE!

Good luck,

RICH