Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 05:17:01 AM

Author Topic: The Gecko drive G203V Disable Pin Configuration help required  (Read 5432 times)

The Gecko drive G203V Disable Pin Configuration help required.

I am building a homemade CNC in my home... and I am afraid that if I get PINNED in the large 6 foot x 8 foot machine that
I will have to cut my arm off with a pocket knife to free myself.... this is why I am asking the following:

I have a G203V Gecko Drive and it has a Disable Pin which will make the steppers free wheeling if supplied 5 volts from the controller.

A) What is the recommended Pin Configuration and logic or method of configuring the Mach 3 software?
Digital trig, enable, in the output pins seems a little daunting...ok... a lot daunting.

I assume that the E-Stop PIN 13 on my machine should somehow trigger 5 volts from the BOB to the Disable Pins on X, Y, and Z axis's
and after the E-Stop is reset the Disable pins on X, Y, and Z axis's will TOGGLE back to a Ground Value.

I am building my CNC from my own design using your knowledge... thank you so much for advice.

Lastly, I don't know what to call anything... so I don't know how to search or what to search for regarding this issue; so,
please forgive me for posting something that you can find in ten seconds... and that I could never find.... in a year
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:58:30 PM by edoctoor »
Again thank you for your kind words and your helpful tips and tricks.. you are appreciated
more than you will ever know during our struggle with the start-up learning curve.
Re: The Gecko drive G203V Disable Pin Configuration help required
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 12:06:36 PM »
http://datasheet.octopart.com/G203V-Gecko-Drive-datasheet-10824160.pdf

Here is the datasheet... I thought... it was a simple question... I guess not from the overwhelming help that I am receiving...

I know how to wire it, I understand supply 5 volts... what I am asking is how do I configure MACH 3 to take advantage of this feature...

I have searched but I can not find anything about configuring MACH 3 ... is there no more support after I have paid for the Mach 3 product..????
Again thank you for your kind words and your helpful tips and tricks.. you are appreciated
more than you will ever know during our struggle with the start-up learning curve.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 01:11:47 PM »
is there no more support after I have paid for the Mach 3 product..?

Any support that is provided by this forum is given on a voluntary basis and is totally unrelated to anyone's purchase of the Mach3 license. Of course, we are all here to help each other but sometimes it takes time to receive a response so please be patient.

Assuming I correctly understand what you are asking...
Mach3 does not in itself output a 5 Volt signal. What it does output is a TTL signal the voltage of which, if you are using the parallel port, could be to the 3.3 Volt TTL standard or the 5 Volt TTL standard (dependent on your parallel port).
There is always more than one way to do anything but this method is probably what you are looking for...
In Mach3 Config. / Ports and Pins / Output Signals you can enable Enable 1, set the Port and Pin # and Active state to provide this TTL signal which will be directly tied to the EStop state.

Tweakie.

PEACE
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 02:19:44 PM »
Thank you... that was exactly the information that I was looking for...

I just have to figure out what pinsouts match my BOB... but I can figure this out.

Thanks again for a point in the right direction... if you have a tutorial video that includes information about the ENABLE settings
it would be helpful for you to provide me with a link...

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 01:38:54 AM »
Thanks again for a point in the right direction... if you have a tutorial video that includes information about the ENABLE settings
it would be helpful for you to provide me with a link...

I don't recall ever having watched any of the tutorial video's so sorry, can't help with that one.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 03:02:58 AM »
The manual says

"TERMINAL 7 Disable
 This terminal will force the winding currents to zero when tied to the step and direction controller +5V.
The DISABLE input on the G203V is optically isolated and requires logic “1” to DISABLE and logic “0” to ENABLE the drive. Once it is
disabled, the motor windings are unergenized and the motor freewheels. "

So if you have a double pole E-Stop switch (1 Normally Closed and 1 Normally Open) you could connect the normally open contacts from terminal 7 to +5v from your breakout board and when you hit your E-Stop button  pin 7 will be supplied with 5v and thus the drive would be disabled.

Hood
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 03:04:35 AM by Hood »
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 05:56:43 PM »
Thank you very much for the amazing out of the box solution, you're definitely the PHD of CNC's

PHD... great initials

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 06:54:29 AM »
As Hood suggests.

I have a simple SPDT switch with a pull-up resistor to +5 V on the front panel to Disable the G203V driver when I want to unplug it. That is the Gecko-recommended method. A high-going logic signal would do just as well, provided you are running 5 V logic rather than 3.3 V logic.

Cheers
Roger
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 08:38:50 AM »
Thank you very much, and it is a 5 volt B.O.B

I have not found a link to Gecko's method... but I did try my best to search... I guess I do not know enough about the keywords to search.

I'll google pull up resister, but I assume that I would always have 5 volt going to the G203V Disable Pin on the Gecko drive and the
E-Stop (normally closed) in series with a resister to ground on one pole of the E-Stop attached to the wire that goes from the BOB 5 volts to the drive.

I can read a circuit schematic, does anyone have a link to a schematic?

I don't like guessing, and little detail such as the size/value of the resister would help.

Again thank you very much, I am almost ready to call digikey and make the order; however,
I am still search for the type of cable to use for my 2.2 chinese water cooled cable.
Flexible, stranded, and shielded cable between 18 and 16 AWG

I would like to know the digikey number or detailed information to get the right cable.

Best regards

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:41:04 AM by edoctoor »

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 05:56:44 PM »
See diagram below, screen shot from my schematic. Ignore other stuff around the jpg.
Cheers
Roger