Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:32:59 PM

Author Topic: soldering iron info, please  (Read 4813 times)

soldering iron info, please
« on: May 16, 2016, 02:16:22 PM »
thank you all for your input on multimeters.  now its time to replace a very cheap old soldering iron.

i dont see myself replacing components on a board level.  i believe if i lose say a servo amp id be

just putting in a new one and sending the old one out for evaluation and possible repair.

looking for an iron to tin wires, join them, and any of the other requirements that will come

in replacing the old dead cnc control on my mill with a breakout board, motion controller, new vfd, etc.

pencil? gun? station?  other considerations?

thanks, you guys are great.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: soldering iron info, please
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 02:26:52 PM »
For the odd job, practically any iron around 25w will work.

If doing a bit more than the odd job the a temperature controlled type will be better.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 11:18:00 PM »
Surprisingly a small wattage iron is likely to do more heat damage than a small one. When the iron is too small it cools down the instant it touches the joint. Then you are waiting for the joint to heat up and heat is traveling where you don't want it. A larger iron holds more heat and brings the joint to temperature instantly, you touch the solder and you are done.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 01:08:54 AM »
well, this looks like be a nice tool, and hopefully the last soldering iron ill ever buy, and looks kinda sexy.....

X-Tronic Model #3020-XTS Digital LED Display Soldering Station
http://www.amazon.com/X-Tronic-3020-XTS-Digital-Display-Soldering/dp/B01DGZFSNE/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1463461302&sr=1-1&keywords=soldering&refinements=p_36%3A1253529011

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 01:24:06 AM »
Looks fine, make sure replacement tips are ok.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 05:43:05 PM »
I use a big weller 8200. Very old school and quite bulky but heat is almost instant.
soldering iron info, please
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 06:38:19 PM »
I use a Hako best I have ever used fast heat full temp adjust and great tip cleaning system look up mektronics au

Acoustic and Electric guitars and Basses.
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 12:02:30 AM »
ive been looking at analog units in the $40+ range, and digital units at about 2x that.  do you find the digital units are worth the extra$$$ ??

the x-tronic model is now out of stock, no idea when it will return.  and what about the Aoyue brand?

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 02:23:42 AM »
You need a large element - 50w or more for fast heat, temperature control either on the station or built in like Weller do, replaceable tips.

Anything that fits that should be good, my Weller station has been going for 15years now, works perfect, the temp is controlled by the tips.
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 05:47:54 AM »
Hi there,
have to support Dave my Weller Magnastat has been going for twenty plus years, one new element, one new mag switch, several barrels
and plenty of tips...
Temperature controlled is the only way to go, any iron with enuf power to do a heavy job is when sitting idle going to overheat and the first
touch of such a hot iron on any semiconductor/circuit board/other heat sensitive gismo and you wreck it.
The Magnastat tips have a little magnet on the end of them and when the tip reaches the Curie temperature the magnetic field collapses and the
reed switch opens, when it cools the magnetic field re-establishes, the switch makes and the heater powers up. Really simple and reliable.
If you want a hotter iron just buy the tip with the next hotter range. I usually have one or two hotter tips where I need the thermal mass to
hook into something a bit larger. It has a 50W element and with a little patience can tackle quite large jobs and yet not overdo surface mount
components.
Simplicity means that they are reasonably cheap, I saw an ad for one at $290NZ, about $180 US. My experience says that great value.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'