Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:38:43 PM

Author Topic: Scaling issues when converting DXF to G Code with Lazycam.  (Read 5690 times)

Hi, so we've owned the miller now for 3 months and not been able to produce ANYTHING!

It's all hooked up and working correctly (as far as I can tell).

We just need to engrave simple letters and numbers on a pre-printed aluminium plate.

I have a DXF at 1-1 scale that is exacly laid out as required.  The only way I can get Lazycam to even look at it is to convert to WMF then convert to G code.  Once done we load the code and the machme then moves WAY too far - we suspect it's moving 10 time s as far as it's meant to!

Are we doing something obviously wrong???

Thanks in anticipation!

Dave

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Scaling issues when converting DXF to G Code with Lazycam.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 10:16:44 AM »
There is a manual for Lazycam in Member's Doc's. READ IT don't hack the program and do use the latest version, and if doing offsets you need the pro version.

The  drawing should be actual  size in the units that Mach is configured for and exported as a version 12 DXF for import into LC.
LC posts based on Mach configuration, so scale for axes should be 1.

Now I don't know what you mean by moving to far. Is that the first move only?
Note that under Setup in LazyCam there is an option for where the origin will be.

Post the DXF file.

RICH

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 01:22:57 AM »
Hi, please I need an urgent help, How do I generate a DXF file or any file that LazyCam can accept. My PCB board is designed with EagleCAD. and the CAM processor in Eagle software is not helping matter. all the Cam job it processed are not seen by LazyCAM THANKs

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 08:26:30 AM »
LazyCam is a DXF importer. You need to create a ver 12 dxf from your cad program, or convert a different type file to the dxf format.

I know nothing about EagleCAD.

RICH
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 02:53:44 AM »
I am presently using a Chinese 3axis LY3040 CNC machine that comes with parallel port controller, that  leaves me with
the only option of using an old PC computer with parallel port that can only run on windows xp.
Please I want to use a 3axis mach3 CNC motion controller USB card breakout board.
1, What are the software I will be needing to install this card on my laptop.
2, how do I reconfigure my mach3 or are there other mach3 designed for motion controller USB card.

On my last question as to how my lazy cam can see my Eagle cad job. I have been able to solve this by first creating a gcode on my EagleCad then load it on mach3 then on lazy cam then convert it to DXF file.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 04:31:20 AM »
Please I want to use a 3axis mach3 CNC motion controller USB card breakout board.
1, What are the software I will be needing to install this card on my laptop.
2, how do I reconfigure my mach3 or are there other mach3 designed for motion controller USB card.

First job is to choose which motion controller you will be using but please remember that like most things - you get what you pay for. It is always best to use one which has customer support and repair backup (just for example; PMDX  http://www.pmdx.com/  or Warp9 http://warp9td.com/ but there are others so please check).
The motion controller will come with instructions (possibly recommending to use a particular version of Mach3) and an installation program which should make the setting-up an easy and painless process.

Tweakie.
PEACE