Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 12:38:18 AM

Author Topic: A axis operation in Mach4  (Read 7519 times)

A axis operation in Mach4
« on: May 02, 2016, 07:54:40 PM »
I recently made the switch to Mach4 and I've noticed a difference in the way Mach4 handles an A axis move in comparison to what my Mach3 does.  For example if I started at A zero and typed the MDI code "G00 A3600" Mach3 would rapid 10 full revolutions and Mach4 just sits there, since A0 is the same position as A3600.  The A value doesn't have to be divisible by 360.  It works this way and moves only to the equalent end position regardless of the value I enter.  The problem is there are times when I would like to turn multiple times around.  Is there something I am missing in the configuration file or is this just how the new version works and it can't be changed or forced to behave differently.  Thanks
Re: A axis operation in Mach4
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 08:52:44 PM »
Look on the "General" page tab under Configure > Mach4 and you will see a section
in the bottom right quadrant labeled "Rotary Axes". There is a check box for each
rotary axis to enable or disable rollover.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 08:56:22 PM »
Yeah, I have rollover A selected when this happens.  Is there anything else that needs to be configured?  It's moving accurately and reading out in degrees, it just doesn't behave like Mach 3 did.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 10:00:23 PM »
Not trying to be picky, but have you tried it without A axis enabled for rollover? My
understanding was the the rollover function causes the requested destination to
"roll over" into the space mapped by 0 to 360 degrees. I have not actually tried
any of this myself. Unfortunately this option is not documented in the current
manuals.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,199 9,199
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 01:48:35 AM »
I recently made the switch to Mach4 and I've noticed a difference in the way Mach4 handles an A axis move in comparison to what my Mach3 does.  For example if I started at A zero and typed the MDI code "G00 A3600" Mach3 would rapid 10 full revolutions and Mach4 just sits there, since A0 is the same position as A3600.  The A value doesn't have to be divisible by 360.  It works this way and moves only to the equalent end position regardless of the value I enter.  The problem is there are times when I would like to turn multiple times around.  Is there something I am missing in the configuration file or is this just how the new version works and it can't be changed or forced to behave differently.  Thanks

You are not missing anything in the config. Rotary axis is just one of those things that has yet to be sorted out.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline $cott

•  36 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 10:10:40 PM »
Has the rotary A-axis been sorted out yet for Mach4?  Is there documentation on how to set up the A-axis for degrees in Mach4?  I am trying to run a direct drive on the A-axis and can not get the stepper to turn in degrees accurately when i give say A90 (90 degrees) or any other.

My stepper driver has the ability to micro step from 400 to 25600 pulses/rev.  Can anyone give me some direction as to how to set MACH4 properly to give best accuracy with direct drive?

Scott
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 01:25:21 AM »
Taking info from your related post on our forums (http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-Forums/index.php?topic=266.0) - Is this like a glue extruder, where the motor is always going to spin one direction to apply glue?  If so, make sure to disable "rollover" as in step (1) below.  It should be disabled by default, but check to make sure.  If rollover is enabled and you issue a "G0A30" followed by "G0A300", the 2nd move will be backwards through 0 degrees to 300 (actually -60 degrees).

I'm at home and don't have a motor to verify this with, but have you tried this:

(1) Go to the "Configure" menu and select "Mach".  On the "General" tab in the lower right corner make sure the "Rollover A" box in un-checked.

(2) I tried these motor tuning parameters:
- set your motor driver for 1/8th step (1600 steps/rev)
- In Mach, set "steps/unit" to 4.444 (i.e. 1600/360 = 4.444 steps/degree)
- set velocity to 21600 units/minute (60 RPM * 360 degrees/rev, just a number I pulled out of thin air, change this for whatever a realistic velocity is for your machine)
- set acceleration to 500 units/sec^2 (again, a number I pulled out of thin air)

For me, entering a "G0A30" in the MDI box results in the SmartBOB generating 133 step pulses, which is (30/360)*1600 or as close to 30 degrees as  you can get with 1/8 step resolution.  Try this (with realistic velocity and accel params) and tell me what you get.

[EDIT] If you don't get the expected results, in addition to telling us how far the motor actually moved, also tell us which version of Mach4 and the SmartBOB plug-in you are running (both are available on the SmartBOB configuration dialog or the SmartBOB diagnostics dialog (go to the "Diagnostics" menu and select "PMDX SmartBOB").

Bob
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 01:32:35 AM by bob_at_pmdx »

Offline $cott

•  36 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 09:19:28 PM »
Bob,

Thanks for your input for my problem.  When i test with the settings you suggested and I enter a G-Code of A0A90 say ....  the stepper only moves maybe 2 or 3 degrees.
I have checked to make sure my driver is set at 1600 steps per revolution. 

Scott

Offline $cott

•  36 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 09:20:09 PM »
Oops that  G-Code G0A90
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 11:52:34 PM »
Then you enter "G0A90" and the motor only moves a small bit, what does the DRO for the A axis say?  Does it end up displaying some number close to 90?

Try slowing the max velocity WAY down and see what happens.  For example, set the max velocity to 2160 (6 RPM) and accel to 100.

What breakout board and/or motor driver is your PMDX-411 connected to?

And finally, please post your Machine.ini file (otherwise I'll end up asking a bunch of very basic questions about your configuration).  Or create a "profile package" and post that (you will have to change the file extension from ".m4prof" to ".zip" in order to upload it).  To create this, go to the "Help" menu and select "support" and then "Package Current Profile".

Bob