Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:54:47 AM

Author Topic: Anyone interested in a new touch module?  (Read 7299 times)

Re: Anyone interested in a new touch module?
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 05:00:29 PM »
Thanks Mike,

Neither jogging nor motion smoothness should not be effected. The only reason I can imagine it would be is if the host PC is maxing out its resources. What are the PCs specs and have you ran it while monitoring resources?

Could be the problem because the computer is not the fastest. It is a P-IV 2.8ghz with 2gb ram and an onboard video card.

When finding the center it should end at the center of the feature your finding the center of. Is your touch plate height and tool diameter set correctly?

I will have to check but Can't see how the probe height would affect the circle center probe.

If probing is working in your motion device plugin I think it will be OK. If your not running Mach4 version 2.2914 with all things default, you should be (the ReadMe that was included elaborates on this if I am not mistaken).

It was spelled out in the read me and I thought that I had the latest stuff but I will check and report back.

I was able to run the built in probing routines with no problems but since your touch routines are another GUI it might just be because of the onboard video/lack of resources.. This is a SFF Dell so I can't add a separate video card.

I would like to see it do a double touch for extra accuracy.

Since this is meant to be used with tools or probes, your Probe Feed Rate needs to be as slow as necessary for your machine to touch and stop before hurting the tool or touch plate or part. Since there is no intent for it to ever touch at a higher rate than this, double touch is a moot point. However, you can edit the module to add this option if you like.

If I need to feed at 2"/minute to get a "good"measurement but I probing between 18" it will take quite awhile to probe which is a big reason for a double touch probe routine.

I doubt I will ever add the bit to increment through tools with each touch. Hopefuly if anyone wants this it will easy enough for them to add that option.

Someday I will take the time to learn LUA but right now I want to run my machines. That being said I am very appreciative of all the work everyone is doing and if I can add to it I will.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 05:30:33 PM »
Well!
Looks like my computer is not up to snuff. It is a combination of the tool path and your GUI. With them both running the computer CPU is near 100% all the time. With neither running the CPU sits around 10%. With just your GUI open it runs about 35%. With a toolpath up on the screen it runs about 50%. Add in the resource monitor and the windows overhead and I am surprised it didn't lock up.

I will move the activation button to a different page so I will not forget and run your GUI on a page with a tool path display.

I am running a newer version than 2914 but I will do more testing with what I have to see if it is just computer related.

More to come.
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 05:34:25 PM »
I suspect that your video hardware does not support OpenGL and it is being emulated in software.

Hardware OpenGL version 1.5 or greater support is listed as a prerequisite for a machine running Mach4.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 06:12:38 PM »
Hi Steve,
That may be but I have run 60 parts on this machine with no problems during the run cycle. I will most likely be upgrading the computer in the future but right now it runs the machine pretty well.

Looks like my computer just can't run this even without the toolpath display up and running. I tried increasing the buffering on the DSPMC but that slowed the response to the keyboard.

Just for comparison I was able to run the stock screen probing without any problems. The stock probing also does the double touch with a high speed and then a low speed with nice fast moves when it is safe to do so.

Mike

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 10:07:10 PM »
Thanks Mike,

If I need to feed at 2"/minute to get a "good"measurement but I probing between 18" it will take quite awhile to probe which is a big reason for a double touch probe routine.

This is what the prep distance and prep rate is for. But, if you do hit something in a prep move it will stop motion as fast as the axis tuning will allow but the touch will fail with an unexpected touch. Keep in mind, this was mainly designed for those using a tool as their probe in conjunction with a touch plate. However it should work equally well for probes. That is not the same as saying that it will work as well as dedicated probe functions with a probe though. Generally probes are forgiving. They have give built in. This is not true for tooling. You try to touch something with a carbide end mill at a fast rate and chances are you will at least have a chipped or broken tool to things much much worse.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 06:29:22 AM »
I will do some more testing as time allows but right now I am going to wait until I have a different computer setup. Just too much load for my old SFF Dell.
While it runs programs well, probing and tool height setting are the big reason I am moving to Mach4.

Thanks for all of your hard work in getting to this point. Like you said anyone can take what you did as a starting point on make it their own..

Mike

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 09:41:56 AM »
Thanks Mike,

Did a little testing yesterday. The reason the find center function is moving to some random location at the end is because changes to Mach4s core (test versions) broke something. I bet the corner touch functions do not update your work offsets either. If you do play with it anymore I would do it in version 2914.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 11:16:31 AM »
Its a bugger when u got a custom plugin and something in the core changes and breaks it, like ive always said its nice havin access to the sdk but without a changelog its a case of figuring out whats been changed in order to repair plugins.

DaTheGas
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2016, 02:32:54 PM »
I would also be interested in giving this a try - at least in a week or so when I get my machine all back together.