Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:27:22 AM

Author Topic: Mach3, Pokeys57CNC, problems with Spindel Index.  (Read 5584 times)

Offline GerdS

•  42 42
    • View Profile
Mach3, Pokeys57CNC, problems with Spindel Index.
« on: March 27, 2016, 05:25:20 PM »
Hello Folks
currently i am working on my Lathe to wire up with the PokeysCNC Board.
The most things are working good, but some things are very strange and i can not realy find a solution.

Spindel Index:
With the Spindel index i tried nearly everything. Proximity sensor, optical sensors, NPN and PNP. I also tried different kind of Pokeys input pins.
I watched many Youtube videos regarding Spindel index. Read forum articles etc.
I also tried out older Mach3 versions and played with all Index related settings.

The signal from the sensors seems to be Ok on my Oscilloscope. Even with higher RPM.
But in Mach3 it will not shown the current RPM.
When i manual turn the Spindel over the sensor gap, the Mach Index LED lit up.
But when the Spindel turns slowly by the Motor the LED does not lit up in RPM frequency. It looks like the signal drop out from time to time.

In MPG mode i can not start the most commands:
I replaced my iron wheels with two Encoders to work still conventional with the Lathe.
It works better then i expected.
But one thing is really bad.
The most Screen command are seems to be locked in MPG mode. I always have to switch, at least, in to continue Mode to Zero, Start Spindel etc.

Stop Button de-ref all Axis:
This is also very annoying. Everytime when i hit the Stop Button i have to reference all Axis again.

I don't know if these issues are Mach3 or Pokeys related. But i also use Mach3 with my Mill and a Smoothstepper Board.
Here i have not this strange things.

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
Re: Mach3, Pokeys57CNC, problems with Spindel Index.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 01:19:49 AM »
Hi, GerdS

The spindle frequency measurement is not yet supported in Mach3 plugin - the frequency must be measured by the device itself and data forwarded to Mach3 to display. We will check how this can be added to the plugin.

Regarding MPGs - are you using the option 'Let PoKeys handle MPG jogging'? If this is enabled, the jogging operations are directly controlled and executed by the PoKeys device. Unfortunately, not all Mach3 functions are supported in this mode. To use all functions disable this option - you will use the Mach3's native MPG support, which has it drawbacks (much improved in Mach4).

The stop button stopped the machine immediately and Mach3 had issues with lost steps. I must check whether the graceful stop command has been implemented in the plugin.
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope

Offline GerdS

•  42 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 11:30:57 AM »
Hi Neo,
yesterday i bought a Mach 4 Licence. So the Stop and MPG issue is not present here.
But the Spindle index does also not work in Mach 4. So it looks like that the signal is to worse. To many noise comes from the 5V Pokeys Supply.
I will try a Schmitt trigger to improve the Signal a bit. Maybe that helps.
Right now i use an Opto Sensor and a one gap disk only, to create the Spindel RPM signal.
Maybe i will use an Encoder later. But first of all the machine must work like i want.
With Mach4 many new stuff comes up to figure out. But i think this will be the direction. Not Mach3.

One Question.
I need an additional Pokeys Board to provide more remote functionality.
Is it possible to couple the PokeysCNC board with an Ethernet Pokeys without using an additional Ethernet connection. ?
I think no, but would be great.

Regards
Gerd

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 11:59:57 AM »
The PoKeys plugin for Mach4 supports multiple PoKeys devices, so you can extend the IO to additional devices. The only condition is that motion related signals are connected to the motion controller device (e.g. limit/home switches must be connected to the PoKeys57CNC board).
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope

Offline GerdS

•  42 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 05:18:15 PM »
Hy NeoTo,
just tried the Spindle Index for Mach3 you implemented in the last version.

When i activate this funktion Mach3 is going to crash next time started.
There is no way to disable this function except you edit the xml file and set Spindle Speed back to 0.

But even the Option was activated, i got no usable Spindle Index signal.
I have now a good crispy square signal without any bigger noise and use the Pin Pin 13 from the Encoder connector.
I also tried this with Mach 4 and a Signal Generator, but no way.

Is there a quick implementation in the Pokeys to see the RPM. I already played with the the Dashboard items and the Poblocks but fail.
Maybe there is problem with the general signal processing.
So i could measure the true speed with my Laser RPM meter and can compare.

Offline GerdS

•  42 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 02:20:10 PM »
Hello NeoTo
Yesterday i found the reason why i didn't get the correct Spindle Speed from my Index in Mach4.
I always was a bit wondering about the Feedback Display in Machine Diagnostics Tab.
There was a Value about 0.002... and shows me a RPM of about 2 with full Speed.  ???

In the Plugin Tab for the Spindel settings was in the Encoder field a predefined Value about 500. I don't remember anymore.
OK.., I use an Index Signal, so this setting is surely not so important for me i thought.
But yesterday i changed the Value to 1. ;)
And tataa.
Now it shows me the correct true RPM.

Further to the next challenge.