Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 02:13:20 PM

Author Topic: Help getting running after hard drive swap  (Read 2469 times)

Help getting running after hard drive swap
« on: March 25, 2016, 09:19:22 PM »
Hi, apologies if this is in the wrong place, please move if necessary.

I have been using Mach3 on my lathe for the past 5 or 6 years with no problems at all. I have been using smooth stepper and havent made any changes in years and honestly havent kept up with any updates etc as the lathe has run perfectly.

A couple of days ago we had a brown out do to a loose connection in our service panel. The hard drive was damaged, I was able to make copies of most everything on the hard drive using puppy linux.

Installed a new hard drive, same computer no other changes. I loaded Mach3 again, same version/build, dropped in my license, plugged in the smooth stepper, directed windows to the folder with the exact same driver that was working properly.  Found my latest smooth stepper xml backup (from last month) and placed it in the mach3 directory.

I launch Mach3 loader and chose Smooth Stepper, Mach3 launches with wrong kernel speed message, seems to be set at 25k, Change it back to 45k and thats about where my notes end.

When I look at ports and pins, general config and motor tuning everything looks correct but I am unable to jog or turn on spindle.

I know these is quite a reach but could someone guide me in the right direction to get back up and running, I am sure there are a few port settings or something in smooth stepper setup I have missed since it seems like a comm problem.

Thanks RIchard

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: Help getting running after hard drive swap
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 04:45:55 AM »
Does the smooth stepper have an install program ?

I am unfamiliar with it but my UC100 USB controller has a separate install app that would need to be run before it worked I think.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 09:09:31 AM »
I did install the smooth stepper driver and the plug in
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 10:33:19 AM »
so I have installed the latest version of mach, latest plugin and smooth stepper and verified all my settings with no communication. What might I be missing?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 01:09:19 PM »
It's not immediately apparent just what it is that you have done wrong (or not done right).

Perhaps download the relevant SCU from the Warp9 website, then run that (following the onscreen instructions) - it will repeat what you have already done but it may point to something you have missed.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 10:08:08 AM »
Thanks, followed your advice and figured it out, apparently I missed the reboot after  cloning of the configuration at start up  for the first time neccesary to update firmware in SMooth STepper. Followed the instruction verbatim and its back up and running

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 10:49:09 AM »
Excellent  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE