Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:23:13 PM

Author Topic: Difference between plasma and mill...  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Difference between plasma and mill...
« on: March 21, 2016, 03:22:41 AM »
I've built a CNC plasma table and also built a CNC mini-mill and I'm trying to find out the facts behind the way they work.

On the plasma, much effort and expense is used in trying to get massive acceleration figures and speeds to match the material being cut to the power in use, failure to match acceleration causes rounded corners and also Mach3 seems to skip bits of shape just to maintain speed - this seems accepted behaviour in the plasma world. Failure to match speed just gives poor cuts.

On the mill, speeds are a little lower but nothing is said about acceleration or bits of shape being left out - whats the point of a CNC mill that does not follow the shape code after all?

Is there a difference here - Does Mach3 'know' it's a plasma or a mill? Both seem to run the same CV settings.

Offline beefy

•  138 138
    • View Profile
Re: Difference between plasma and mill...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 03:59:10 AM »
Hi Dave,

I had always ASSUMED the different was in the screensets and the functionality, e.g. in plasma you have the THC functionality, THC correction speed, THC max/min, anti-dive, etc.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: Difference between plasma and mill...
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 05:30:22 AM »
That was what I was wondering too, I doubt the THC will have any bearing on the speed/accel topic but yes, it is a difference.