Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:22:06 AM

Author Topic: Pokey57CNC and Pendant  (Read 6254 times)

Pokey57CNC and Pendant
« on: March 17, 2016, 12:43:03 PM »
I have a Pokey57CNC to run a lathe. I have most of the lathe functions running, but have not done any threading testing yet.

I have a 6 axis  pendant from cnc4pc. I believe this is the same one sold by Poscope. I have used it on my mill with a Pokey57E and  a smoothstepper and the pendant works great.

I have connected the pokeys to the 57CNC board on the lathe but cannot get it to work. I check the use pendant setup exactly as I did for the mill. Pushing any buttons on the pendant causes the green indicators on the pokeys config page to light as expected. But the MPG will not move an axis on the lathe, and in fact i t seems to kill the Pulse Engine because even the jog keys wont move the motors.

What is the proper setup for this pendant?

thanks
Re: Pokey57CNC and Pendant
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 06:57:32 PM »
I have discovered my problem- the PoPendant uses pin 1 and 2 for the MPG, but the ultra fast encoders for the spindle encoder also use pin 1,2 I can only use the pendant if I do not connect the rotary encoder, which will not work for a lathe.

I have also hit a problem with the Home switch inputs. the connectors on the 57CNC do not supply +5 volts, and I am using prox switches that need +5.  This is true for both the screw terminal pins and the 20 pin ribbon cable connector.

The Pokey57CNC seems like a nice idea but there are several difficulties in making the external connections. I may have to switch to use the Pokey57E and the PoExtBusCNC16 board. The I can connect motors by ribbon cable and the rest of the I/O to screw terminals.

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 04:26:34 AM »
I ran into the same problem with hall effect limits on the 57CNC I had change to using switches, It's a nice board to use but with a couple of limitations
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 05:57:08 PM »
Hi all,

when you move your spindle encoder to the pin8, pin12, pin13 on the encoder connector it will be the better.
so you have the pin 1 and 2 for your pedand. look on page 8 from the pokey57cnc.
The Pedand connector is in this case free for use.

https://www.poscope.com/index.php?route=product/product/download&download_id=118&product_id=87

When you like to use the switches,have you tried an pull down resistor for test?
Example when  your prox. switch bring hig level, then are the 5v direktly on, but on pokey57 the hig level is on 0v.
The current can not flow through the switch but over an pull down resistor.
Cause on Pokey it is an negative logig. But you can use an pull down resistor betwen the input and the GND.

just for the test begin with an 10k Ohm resistor it could be enought but donĀ“t  use an resistor under 4,7k ohm for the test.
wenn your signal comes in, it is just negated.

one question can you tell me the exactly type and the name of your switch?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 06:06:09 PM by eurohoppel »

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 06:57:39 PM »
cherry very expensive  switch
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 08:37:45 AM »
The problem is that +5 v is needed for a prox switch, it is a 3 wire device. It makes it hard to connect when there is no +5 in the IDC connector.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 01:26:29 PM »
Hi Ron,

I have developed a BOB for Pokeys57E call PoBob for local Thailand Market. It may be fit for a your application because it provides 5V, also handle I/O at 24V level.
I can send you a free PoBob (without Pokeys57E) to you. It is free because I'm a big fan of yours. Please PM me your address.

Here is the link to product.
http://www.cncroom.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=194&language=en

You may need  to use google translation to convert all information including manual to English. However, I  can translate few important pages for you if you need it.

Best Regards,

Weerasak
The CNCRoom.com, the place where Industrial Hobbyists can talk and trade!
www.cncroom.com/forum