Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:06:41 AM

Author Topic: MUST KILL WINDOZE!!  (Read 2872 times)

MUST KILL WINDOZE!!
« on: March 13, 2016, 04:59:19 PM »
I CAN NOT BELIEVE the mess I have gotten myself into! So, been a couple of days trying to figure out why when I run MachScreeen, edit and save, changes are not there?!? Been jacking with it, renamed, saved, loaded other screens, then back etc...etc...etc...

Figured out today that Win7 will not let programs write directly to the program directory?!? WTF? Anyhow after several searches online figured out that the real files that are written to are buried deep in windows....\users\me\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramsFiles\Mach3\...okay whatever...so I now edit the screen down in this directory...screen changes are there, but script changes are not? WTF? So I kind of have it figured out (I think) and am mixing copying matching files, then, BAM the xmla is WRONG! Pins, motor tuning everything...I downloaded Klaaus' excellent xml utility, but I am stuck...I can find the one that is seemingly correct, but no matter WHERE I put it aint working...I am now putting everything back in manually and running into problem after problem...eg...used the auto feature to set the input pins, seems to go well, but on the diagnostics page, the port/pin graphic responds to the limit pins, but the M1Limit, etc is not changing state! I cant belive how easy it is to hose your whole system up!

I want to scream!

Offline CWare

•  14 14
    • View Profile
Re: MUST KILL WINDOZE!!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 12:07:25 PM »
Um do you have admin rights?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 02:26:06 PM »
Yes, my use is an Admin, I have full access and rights, even when you run as adminstrator, it jacks itself up because it points to the Admin virtual store! Not the local directory....I believe my only option is to resintall in the root directory, like the install suggests! I guess I have never run software that wants to write to the c:\programs directory directly, as I have been using Win7 for quite some time and never even realized this...
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 03:22:11 PM »
I believe my only option is to resintall in the root directory, like the install suggests!

I've been running Mach3 on W7 for around a year now without issues, I have to say it never occurred to me to force the install to put it anywhere but the default location - there's usually a reason for default locations ;-)

- Nick
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 08:27:04 PM »
Took a lot less time to reinstall Mach in the root directory AND move all of my settings, macro, screens, bitmaps, etc...

All is well again...
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 08:20:51 AM »
So didn't have to kill Windows at all.... just the user!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 01:08:46 PM »
Users are usually the biggest problem!   ::) ::)