Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:21:25 AM

Author Topic: Budget CNC build questions  (Read 2464 times)

Budget CNC build questions
« on: March 04, 2016, 11:21:13 PM »
First post, been reading for a while trying to learn.

I've got an electronics set I bought last year for a cnc mill, that never happened, and it now being re-purposed for plasma.

NEMA-23 motors, 3 KL-4030 drivers, 32v-50v power supply, DC-DC converter feeding the chinese 5 axis Db25 BOB @ 12v (link below). I have a PDF "instructional" that's mostly chinglish, but gave me small place to start.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191792899380

So after hours of reading, I have a temp setup on plexi, running only x axis driver and motor. Wiring works, motor works, Mach 3 works.

Problem is,,, Mach 3 shows M1 (p12) and M2 (P13), always lit in diagnostics if I set them low active, and always non-lit if I set them hi-active.
Auto-set does not recognize a change in state on those to inputs.

I have probed the board, I get 10v from all limit/e-stop inputs to input ground. Probing them while I manually ground them also gives me 0v. All 5 probe the same with v-meter, but mach 3 just doean't see what should be x-home and y-home ca=hanging state. Acts like they are always grounded.

Hoping someone has a setting switch I'm missing, but not hopeful at this point. I've ordered another board since they're cheap, but I don't think it's a board problem based on checking voltages..

I was so proud that that I got things working as they should right off the bat, and then this ugly monkey showed up.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Re: Budget CNC build questions
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 03:01:10 AM »
Sounds like a good start, have you tried another parallel cable?

Looks like the BOB has USB power supply as well, have you tried that instead of your PSU?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 03:03:34 AM by Davek0974 »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 05:17:51 AM »
Post your xml file and someone will take a look to see if there is a problem in it.
Also post the PDF manual you mentioned.

FWIW: I personally will not support any of the Chinese junk.
          Folks buy this stuff, then come here and ask for assistance for a what turns out to be an inferior product, instructions, bad documentation.
          pirated software, no seller /  manufacturer support, etc. etc. etc. ............................
          What an insult to our community of users who feel the need to assist. The Chinese and sellers  just laugh at us! >:(

RICH
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 05:32:51 AM by RICH »

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 12:11:58 PM »
I nearly pissed myself when i read that ebay listing - perfect chinglish :)
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 05:49:08 PM »
Well, I did some more testing on the board, and think it's the culprit. Returning and trying another.
I did not try another parallel as only have the one. It's a straight thru extension. The board is powered by USB 5v, the power supply powers the 12v end of the board, so both are always hooked up to make things work.
Here's the XML just in case, but I think it's a hardware issue.

And the documentation (or lack there-of as is the case).